The Key to Wiring Three Way Switches
My three way switches do not work right, how can I fix this? The key to wiring three way switches, Identifying the electric wiring.
Three Way Switches
Electrical Question: My three way switches do not work right, how can I fix this?
- I have a 3 way switch for inside lights and an outside light switch in the same box. However, the outside light will not work unless the inside lights on the 3 way switch is on, either of the 3 way switches can be on, as long as the lights are on. Is this standard?
- Should there be a way inside the switch box to change the wiring to allow the light switches to work independently of each other.
- I have 4 sets of wires coming in or going out of the box.
- I would think 1 to the other 3 way, a second to the outside light, third would be power.
- The 4th wire may go to the inside lights.
This electrical question came from: Tom, a Homeowner from Butler, Pennsylvania.
Thanks for your electrical question Tom.
How to Wire Three Way Switches
Application: Wiring Three Way Light Switches.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the lighting circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional 3-way switch wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Materials: Make sure replacement 3-way light switches have the same amperage and voltage rating as the original three way light switch, and is the switch is fully compatible with the electrical circuit, the light fixture and the type of light bulbs being used.
Wiring Three Way Switches
NOTE: There are several 3way switch wiring scenarios that are possible however, the existing switch wiring must be identified so that the right three way switch wiring configuration can be made in order for the 3-way switches to work correctly.
The Key to Three Way Light Switch Wiring
The key to wiring three way switching is to identify the following:
- Where the power enters, and at which switch box.
- Where the feed goes from the switch box up to the light fixture.
More about Wiring Three Way Switches
The Following Diagrams will assist you with Three Way Switches
How to Wire a Switch
Diagrams for Wiring a Light Switches
- Wiring Diagrams
- Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures will help with your Home Electrical Projects.
- 3 Way Switch Diagram
3 Way Switch Diagram
- In response to the requests for this information, I have developed a comprehensive,step-by-step guide designed to walk you through the identification and wiring of your 3-way switches.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about 3-Way Switches, Electric Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Using Electrical Appliances in Foreign Countries||Attic Wiring, Junction Boxes and Electrical Safety|