How to Test a Light Switch
How to Use Electrical Testers to Test a Light Switch – A switch can be tested using a ohm meter continuity tester or a voltage tester.
How To Know If a Light Switch Is Bad
Electrical Question: How would you know if a light switch was bad?
This electrical wiring question came from: Bob, a Homeowner from Surf City, NC
Thanks for your electrical repair question Bob.
Using Electrical Testers to Test a Light Switch
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Hey Bob, I thought Surf City was in California? Well anyway – if your light does not go on, and you know your light bulbs are good, and everything else is working OK then you just might have a bad switch.
A switch can be tested using a ohm meter continuity tester or a voltage tester. If you do not get a reading with either test then the switch will need to be replaced.
Using electrical testers
Electrical Safety and Voltage Testers
When working on home electrical wiring, quality voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
The Following will assist you with your light switch electrical repair:
Light Switch Wiring
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Electrical Repair, Light Switch and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Install Ceiling Fans||The Basics of a Home Solar Power Design|
I am only getting about 79 to 80 volts at the light switch connector. It runs my vent fan in bath. This fan worked fine up until a few weeks ago. I replaced the switch, same problem. can you help ?
Bill, this usually indicates that one leg of the wiring has been lost, typically the neutral. This calls for testing to identify the location, then repairing of the most likely burnt wiring. I advise locating a qualified electrician.