» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Testing a 240 Volt Dryer Circuit
The voltage readings at my dryer plug are not right, what should I do? How to Test a 240 Volt Dryer Circuit.
Electric Dryer Circuit
[ad#block]Electrical Question: The voltage readings at my dryer plug are not right, what should I do?
- We just moved to a new house and needed to install a 4 prong cord to our existing dryer. I’m only pulling 125 volts from the lead and neutral wire. I have 2 questions regarding this issue.
- There is no physical ground in the plug itself. Would this have any effect on the voltage coming through to the dryer itself?
- Could the breaker box itself be configured incorrectly? If so, how can this be corrected?
This electrical wiring question came from: Philip, a Homeowner from Phoenix, Arizona.
Thanks for your electrical testing question Philip.
How to Test a 240 Volt Dryer Circuit
Application: Testing a 240Volt Electric Dryer Circuit.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with hand tools and electrical troubleshooting skills.
Precaution: Identify the circuit, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before making inspections or wiring modifications.
Note: Electrical troubleshooting is best performed by a qualified electrical contractor
Testing the Voltage of a Dryer Receptacle
- 240Volt Dryer
- A 240 volt dryer circuit is basically two circuits of 120 volts that come from the two separate 120 volt power sources at the main electrical panel.
- Voltage Test and Voltage Readings
- When using a tester to check the voltage, it is normal to have 120 readings from each power circuit leg to ground or neutral, but the reading between the two lines of power will be 240 volts.
- Dryer Circuit Breaker
- If any of these readings are not correct then circuit readings should be taken at the panel supplying the circuit.
More about Electrical Wiring for a Dryer Circuit
- Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring.
- When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
- Wiring a Dryer
- See an electric dryer installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system.
- You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric dryer, or a 3-wire or 4-wire outlet.
- Lets look a how the electric dryer is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
For more information about 220 Volt Wiring Diagram
220 Volt Wiring Diagram
- Wiring 220 Volt Electrical Outlet
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how electrical outlets for the home are wired.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
|More articles about 240 Volt Dryer Circuit, Electric Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Real Estate Agents and Home Electrical Inspections||Troubleshooting Problems with Electrical Outlets|
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.