How to Wire a Ceiling Fan to the Ceiling Box
How are the wires connected from the ceiling fan to the ceiling box? Ceiling Fan Wiring diagrams, What to do When Your Ceiling Fan Project Has a Problem.
Wiring a Ceiling Fan
Electrical Question: How are the wires connected from the ceiling fan to the ceiling box?
- I am installing 2 ceiling fans with lights. I have the same wiring in this house in the 2 rooms I am installing the ceiling fans with lights.
- In the ceiling box there are 4 black wires that have a wire nut around them together.
- There are also 3 white wires and a tan wire.
- The original 3 white wires were connected to the white wire and the tan to the black wire on the original light fixture.
- When I connect the ceiling fan black (motor) and blue wire (light) wires to the 3 wires in the ceiling fan box, as the original light fixture was connected, and connect the green wire (ground) ceiling fan to the existing tan wire (ceiling box) ground my breaker keeps kicking out.
- I have went onto connect the black wire (motor), blue wire (light), and white wire (neutral) wires in various ways but nothing works.
- I believe there is a hot wire coming into the ceiling box as one way the fan motor and light fixture came on without the wall switch. Can you send me a diagram on how the wires need to be connected properly for these ceiling fans with the ceiling box, the way it is wired?
This electrical wiring question came from: Jeff, a Homeowner from Charleston, West Virginia.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Jeff.
Wiring a Ceiling Fan to a Ceiling Box
Application: Ceiling Fan Electrical Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced, Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the switched outlet wiring and the proposed location for the ceiling fan.
Precaution: Identify the switched outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring for a ceiling fan should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Connecting a Ceiling Fan to a Ceiling Box
- A tripping circuit breaker may be an indication that the wire connections are incorrect, or that a wire has been pinched and is shorting to ground.
- Wiring diagrams for ceiling fans may be found at the links provided below.
- Review the wiring connections with the wiring diagrams for ceiling fans, and make sure the wires are clear and not in a position where they may be pinched or damaged.
See more about Wiring a Ceiling Fan
Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagram
Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagram
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
Wiring a Ceiling Fan Wiring
- How to Install Ceiling Fans
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring.
- Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Wiring Configurations and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Wire Dimmer Switches and Light Fixtures||Garage Electrical Wiring On a Concrete Wall|