Rewiring Lights and Switches for an Older Home
How can I install new wiring when Replacing Old Electrical Wiring? Replacing Older Home Knob and Tube Electrical Wiring.
Rewiring an Older Home
[ad#block]Electrical Question: How can I install new wiring when replacing old electrical wiring?
- Any ideas on how to route new wires to replace the old knob & tube wiring?
- I am routing wires in between floors for ceiling fixtures and switches.
This electrical question came from: David, a Handyman from Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
Additional Comments: Excellent.
Thanks for your electrical question David.
How to Rewire Light Switches for an Older Home
Application: Upgrading an Older Home Electrical System.
Skill Level: Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Electricians Tools including a pouch of hand tools and the various power tools necessary for installing electrical circuit wiring and upgrading the electrical panel as required.
Estimated Time: Depends on type of existing panel or fuse box, the replacement panel to be installed, the original wiring methods that were used for installing the existing wiring, the number of circuits to be replaced or new circuits to be installed, the and available access to the project areas.
Precaution: This is an extensive project that should be performed by a Licensed Electrician and typically requires specifications in accordance with the local building department and the utility company or electric service provider. Working in an electric panel is dangerous due to arc flash hazards and the possibility of electric shock.
Notice: Making changes to home electrical wiring and the electric service panel should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Replacing Older Home Knob and Tube Electric Wiring
Here are some wiring options that are used when Replacing Old Home Knob and Tube Wiring:
- David, typical methods for replacing knob and tube wiring will depend on access from areas such as the attic or the basement or crawl space.
- In some cases with older homes it may be more cost effective to remove sections of wall coverings to allow access to remove the old wiring and electrical boxes and install new electrical cables and outlet and switch boxes.
- As with many older home there will be fire blocks that will prevent fishing wires down the walls, therefore it may be necessary to open up the stud bay area of the switch box up several inches in order to allow access for drilling holes to install the new electrical wiring.
- Upgrading electrical wiring for an older home will require a permit and inspections to make sure the installation is correct and according to code and is best installed by a licensed electrical contractor.
More about Rewiring Light Switches for an Older Home
Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Rewiring a Home
- Great ideas for home electrical rewiring that will add value to your home and bring it up to the current safety and energy efficient electrical codes.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electric Wiring, wiring upgrade and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Understanding Electrical Testers and Readings||Electrical Outlet Wiring for a Dryer|