» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Replacing Outlets and Light Switches
I replaced light switches and outlets in my home and now some things do not have power and do not work: How to Connect Electrical Wiring Problems When Replacing Outlets and Switches, Working with Existing Wiring of Outlets and Switches
Electrical Outlets and Switches
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I replaced light switches and outlets in my home and now some things do not have power and do not work.
- Within the same bedroom, I replaced five electrical outlets and one single pole light switch. Prior to replacing them, they all worked.
- I wanted white outlets and switches instead of off-white.The light switch controls a ceiling fan and light. One of the five outlets is on a separate breaker. This outlet is the only one that now works when I plug something into it.
- The other four outlets and the light switch are getting power (my tester beeps and lights up when held up to the wires), however, the light/fan will not turn on and the outlets do not work when I plug any thing into them. I replaced all of them before turning the power back on and checking any of them.
- I assume the problem is not with the breaker or the wire would not be getting power to them, right? The light switch I removed had no ground wire connected to it. It had two black wires only. I have tried the new switch with and without a ground wire which was twisted up inside the box.
- There were two ground wires and I just tried one of the two. I have replaced numerous lights switches and outlets throughout this new(older) home, without any problems.
This electrical question came from: Ryan, a Homeowner from Southlake, Texas.
Thanks for your electrical question Ryan.
How to Connect Wiring When Replacing Outlets and Switches
Application: Wiring Light Switches and Outlets.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced. This electrical work is best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Power Tools for installing electrical wiring, and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with hand and power tools.
Precaution: Identify the lighting circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional 3-way or 4-way switch wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Working with Existing Wiring of Outlets and Switches
- From the information that was provided, the problem is not with the circuit breaker, but with the electrical wiring.
- The voltage that is being tested indicates that the circuit does have power, however the neutral may not be connected through at one of the splices or connections.
- This is best solved by reexamining all of the wiring and connections and using a tester for the power and the neutral conductors starting at the source of the circuit and outward as the wiring connects to the other outlets and light switches.
- Identify and turn OFF the electrical circuit which provides power before replacing any electrical device including wall switches and receptacle outlets.
More about Wiring Outlets, Lights and Switches
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Electrical Wiring in a Bedroom
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bedroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Electrical Grounding Methods and Requirements
Listing of electrical codes for grounding with examples of electrical grounding codes for home electrical wiring.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Outlet and Switch Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|ATE: How to Install New Wiring||How to Wire a Double Switch or Triple Switch|