Replacing a Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switch
I Replaced the Pull Chain Switch in my Ceiling Fan with a new switch and now the Motor Does Not Work Right: How to Replace and Wire a Pull Chain Switch for a Ceiling Fan.
Pull Chain Switch for a Ceiling Fan
Electrical Question: I replaced the Pull Chain Switch in my Ceiling Fan with a new switch and now the motor does not work right.
I replaced the pull chain ceiling fan switch with a new switch. The ceiling fan has 3 speeds, so this is a 3-speed ceiling fan switch. When I turn on the fan it is on high speed all the time and won’t turn off with the pull chain switch.
- I connected the electrical wiring as follows:
- The black wire on the L (Line)
- The gray wire on #1,
- The brown wire on #2
- The purple wire on #3
I even changed wires around on the switch but it still won’t change speeds properly. What is causing this to happen?
Thank you for your time in this matter.
This electrical question came from: Roger, a Handyman from Houston, Texas.
Thanks for your electrical question Roger.
Wiring a Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switch
Application: Replacing a Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switch.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate . This electrical wiring project is best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Materials: Make sure the replacement pull chain switch has the same as the original switch, and is fully compatible with the ceiling fan you have.
Replacing a Pull Chain Switch for a Ceiling Fan
- Before replacing the existing ceiling fan pull chain switch with the new switch it is best to examine the wiring connections of all of the wires to the existing pull chain switch.
- Compare the existing pull chain switch with the new pull chain switch that has been purchased.
- Mark the wires or make a drawing with the wiring connections is very helpful as well.
- If the original wiring configuration is unknown, then locate the make and model number of the ceiling fan which will help locate a new replacement switch.
- IMPORTANT: Not all pull chain switches are alike, therefore the wire colors may be different from the wires in the ceiling fan.
- Wire Connections: When wiring the new switch the power wire will need to be identified, then each wire for the three speeds for the motor.
More about Ceiling Fan Switch Wiring
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
- Step-by-step pictures
- Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide
- Light and fan switch variations
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams
- Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams
- Pictures that will assist you with your Home Electrical Projects
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Ceiling Fans, Pull Chain Switch and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Kitchen Light Fixture Wiring||Wiring a GFCI Outlet Circuit|