Replacing a 3Way Switch with a Time Switch
Converting a 3Way Switch to a Time Switch: Converting the wiring from two 3way switches to become a single timer control is accomplished by converting the wiring so that the power source of the hot and neutral are at the location where the timer will be installed.© By: Dave Rongey
Wiring a Time Switch in Place of a 3Way
Electrical Project: I wish to replace a 3-way switch that is being used as a single pole switch, the reason is because I want to put a switch with a timer in its place.
- In my garage at the front next to track doors I have a box where it contains two 3way switches. Everything works fine.
The one 3-way puts the inside lights on /off, With the 3 way from the house into the garage.
- The other 3-way just turns the outside. Lights on and off below is the setup now on this 3-way. Two black wires are going to black terminal. One red wire is going to brass below. One white wire is going to brass on opposite side as the black terminal.
- I used a meter to check voltage. Checking Black to white outside light on 68 Volts outside light off 0 volts. Checking black to red 0utside light on 0 volts outside light off 120 volts. Checking Red to white 0utside light on 68 volts outside light off 120 volts the info in the picture box is just a document of this message.
Thank you in advance.
This electrical wiring question came from Larry, in Derry, New Hampshire.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Larry.
- Application: Wiring a Time Switch in place of Two 3-Way Light Switches.
- Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced. This electrical wiring project is best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
- Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
- Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
- Precaution: Identify the lighting circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
- Notice: Installing additional 3-way switch wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
- Materials: Make sure replacement 3-way light switches have the same amperage and voltage rating as the original three way light switch, and is the switch is fully compatible with the electrical circuit, the light fixture and the type of light bulbs being used.
Converting a 3Way to a Time Switch
- Converting the wiring from two 3way switches to become a single timer control is accomplished by converting the wiring so that the power source of the hot and neutral are at the location where the timer switch will be installed because most time switches require both of these wires.
- Three way switches may be wired using several methods so testing the wiring configuration of the existing switches will be required in order to make the wiring conversion.
- The unused 3way switch may be removed and a blank cover plate installed. Be sure that the grounding in connected as required.
More about Wiring 3 Way Switches
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Residential Wiring Diagrams
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
3 Way Switch Diagram
In response to the requests for this information, I have developed a comprehensive,step-by-step guide designed to walk you through the identification and wiring of your 3-way switches.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Understanding Digital Volt Meters
When working on home electrical wiring using voltage meter can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers and voltage meters enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
Types of Electrical Testers
Topics related to 3 way and 3way
3 Way Switch Diagram
Easy to Understand 3 Way Switch Diagrams Fully Explained. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
More articles about Light Switch Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:
|« Previous||Next »|