Replacement Ceiling Fan Wiring Configurations
How to Fix Ceiling Fan Wiring Problems: Common Problems with Ceiling Fan Wiring and How to Fix Them, Identify the Ceiling Fan Wires for the Right Connections, Wires for Ceiling Fan Light Fixtures, Wiring Connections that Cause a Tripped Circuit Breaker.
Guide to Wiring Connections when Replacing a Ceiling Fan
Electrical Question: I replaced a ceiling fan and when I turned it on the light worked but when I pulled the chain for the fan the circuit breaker tripped off.
- I just installed a ceiling fan with a light to replace a similar unit.
- There were 3 wires coming from the ceiling that are white, green and black, and the same 3 colors coming from the fan.
- I connected all like colored wires together, and screwed in the motor. Then, I connected 2 more sets of wires, this time, the wires ended in plastic blocks that were supposed to connect to each other.
- All seemed to go well. The light turned on immediately, but when I pulled the chain for the fan, there was a small spark from the fan and the breaker was tripped.
- The light continues to work, but nothing from the fan, but consequently, one of our 3 outlets on the same circuit no longer works as well.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
This electrical wiring question came from: Megan, a Homeowner from Brooklyn, New York.
Thanks for your electrical repair question Megan.
How to Fix Ceiling Fan Wiring Problems
Application: Wiring a Ceiling Fan.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced, Best performed by a Licensed Electrician or Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the switched outlet wiring and the location for the replacement ceiling fan.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan and outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring
Common Problems with Ceiling Fan Wiring and How to Fix Them
- Identify the Ceiling Fan Wires for the Right Connections
- Megan, the two wires that you mention as supposed to be connected to each other may be the problem.
- The last wire connections should be taken apart until you can identify the wires as described in the installation manual that came with the ceiling fan.
- Wires for Ceiling Fan Light Fixtures
- Some ceiling fans come with pre-wired connections for an optional light kit which may not be installed from the factory.
- The wiring for the optional light fixture should be capped off and not connected.
- If desired, a compatible light fixture may be added to the ceiling fan and wired to the provided wires.
- Wiring Connections that Cause a Tripped Circuit Breaker
- Connecting a Power wire and a Neutral wire together will cause a direct short.
- If this is the case with your ceiling fan then connecting the last two wires together may have cause a direct short which would cause the circuit breaker to trip off.
- Separate the two wires and cap them off with a wire connector.
More about Wiring a Ceiling Fan
- Wiring ceiling fans
How to Install and Wire Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
- The most commonly asked questions about installing Ceiling Fans, controls, light ceiling fan fixtures and other ceiling fan wiring questions and answers.
Installing a Ceiling Fan
Ceiling Fan Installation
- This series of photos show the electric wire to ceiling fan box, preparing to mount the ceiling fan box,wire into the ceiling fan box through a wire bushing, attaching the ground wire, mounting the cradle bracket, the ceiling fan wires are connected, close the canopy, attach the fan blades and wiring a double stack switch,installing double stack switch, and explain how to connect the ceiling fan wiring blue wire.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Repairs, Wiring Configurations and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Electrical Circuit for a Tanning Bed||How Many Receptacle Outlets Are Allowed Per Circuit|