Problems with Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switches
How to Repair a Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switch that keeps the ceiling fan or light from working…
Repairing a Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switch
[ad#block]Electrical Repair Question: We recently had a new ceiling fan installed by our spare bedroom by a licensed electrician. When our daughter came home from college, she pulled on the cord to get the fan going and a small flash of fire and some smoke came out and scared us half to death. We immediately turned the wall switch off and everything stopped, but there is a strong electrical burning smell. What could be wrong?
This home electrical repairs question came from: Nancy, from Chetek, Wisconsin
See more about Home Electrical Repairs for Wisconsin
Additional Comments: It’s great!
Thanks for your Electrical Repair question Nancy
Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switches
How to Repair a Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switch
- From what has been described in this question I would say that the pull chain switch needs to be replaced.
- If the ceiling fan is brand new then you may consider contacting the supplier and explain the situation and see if they want the ceiling fan to be returned or if they will provide a replacement, or possibly having a service technician replace the pull chain switch for you.
- In any case, the good news is that most pull chain switches found on ceiling fans may be replaced by following this example:
- Turn OFF the power to the ceiling fan. Identify the wiring and connections.
- Remove the switch and take it to your local hardware store or where ceiling fans may be purchased and get the exact replacement, and keep the old switch for reference.
- Install the new pull chain switch.
- Turn the power source back ON.
- Turn on and test the new pull chain switch.
More about Ceiling Fans
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
Ceiling Fan Wiring
Ceiling Fan Wiringdiagram #1
Ceiling Fan Wiringdiagram #2
Ceiling Fan Installation #1
Ceiling Fan Installation #2
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Repair and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|LED Lights and Dimmer Switches||Cut Electrical Cable Causes the Home to Lose Power|