How to Install Recessed Can Light Fixtures Video
Installing Recessed Light Fixtures: Considerations When Installing Recessed Lighting Fixtures, Planning and Installing Recessed Lighting.
Recessed Lighting Project
Electrical Question:We are starting to remodel our old house and after we took down a couple of walls finally we are going to have a big open living room. I moved here from Italy one year ago, so I don’t have a lot of experience with 110Volt wiring and local codes.
- We want to install 8 recessed lights on this room (the size of the room is 25 x 14 x 8), just we are not sure about the kind of bulb to use.
- Personally I really like the halogen for the clear light that they emitted, just someone says that they get to hot.
- I was thinking to use the Commercial Electric 4 in. Non-IC Remodel GU10 Recessed Lighting Kit (K20) from Home Depot all connect to 3 dimmer switches and a 15 Amp breaker. Any suggestion? Thank you
This electrical wiring question came from: Roberto, a Handyman from Asheville, North Carolina.
Additional Comments: This is a really good website, easy to consult. The information are clear and easy to understand.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Roberto.
Installing Recessed Light Fixtures
Application: Install Wiring for Recessed Lighting.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, hole saw and drill motor, drop cloth, a Voltage Tester and a fiberglass ladder.
Typical Materials Required: Type NM Cable or approved cable method, staples for securing the cable, remodel cut in style recessed light fixture with approved energy efficient rating and insulation compatibility for the specific project area location.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools, access to the circuit wiring and project area, and experience working with light circuit wiring.
Precaution: Identify the panel lighting circuit or branch circuit power source, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Modifying or installing additional electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Planning and Installing Recessed Lighting
- Roberto, the process of installing new lighting should always begin with your local building department or authority who may have specific energy requirements for your lighting project.
- Based on this information you may proceed to selecting the type of lighting that you would like.
- The type of bulb will be determined by the type of light fixture that you select.
- Recessed can lights have a number of different lamps or bulbs that may be installed for various types and sizes for the recessed light fixture that you select.
Considerations When Installing Recessed Lighting Fixtures
- Factors for the type of light fixture that you select may be determined by the space where the recessed light fixture cans will be installed and the amount and type of insulation.
- Once the type of light fixtures and lamps have been established then the electrical circuit load requirement can be determined for your lighting project.
More about Electrical Wiring for Home Recessed Lighting
Wiring a dimmer switch
3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
Home recessed lighting
Home Lighting Articles
Home Lighting Articles covering recessed lighting, under cabinet lighting, lighting terminology and more.
- How To Install Recessed Lighting
- This article is about recessed lighting for your home electrical improvements. Discover how recessed lighting can enhance the mood of any room in your home.
Electrical Code Articles
Electrical Code Directory covering lighting circuit wiring.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Recessed Can Light and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|The Process of an Electrical Service Upgrade||What To Do About a Warm Dimmer Switch|