New Home Wiring and Electrical Service Size
How to Calculate Home Electrical Service Sizes: The size of the home electrical service panel and the size of the electrical utility company transformer is determined by creating a list of all of the projected electrical loads, the proposed equipment that will be connected to the circuits, the efficiency factors of this equipment, and the designations for the total building space.
Determining the Electrical Service Size for a New Home
Electrical Question: We are building a new home (2000 sq. feet) on an acreage with no electrical services currently in existence.
- We have a shop going up also, 60×90.
- We use air conditioning, central vacuum, hot tub, above ground pool.
- The power company is recommending a 50 KVA transformer, is this too large/too small or just right for sizing? Looking for confirmation!
This electrical wiring question came from: Lisa, a Homeowner from Medicine Hat, Canada.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Lisa.
How to Calculate Home Electrical Service Sizes
- The size of the home electrical service panel and the size of the electrical utility company transformer is determined by creating a list of all of the projected electrical loads, the proposed equipment that will be connected to the circuits, the efficiency factors of this equipment, and the designations for the total building space.
Electrical Utility Company and Home Electrical Services
- In most cases, the electrical utility company is responsible for installing and maintaining the transformer, and the delivering the electrical utility power within limits and specifications.
- Personally, I would rather have a larger transformer than one that is too small, as it is the specified transformer should provide about 200 amps of power, which is most likely the size of the specified main electrical panel for the home.
More about Home Electrical Service Panels
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
- Home Electrical Circuits
Electric Circuit Listing
- The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
Home Electrical Wiring
- Basic Home Wiring Diagrams with Pictures
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about New Home Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Install Wiring for Garage Lighting||How to Install a Time Switch for an Exhaust Fan|