Installing a Window Air Conditioner Circuit
Why is our Air Conditioner Circuit Not Working? Installing and Testing Air Conditioner Circuit Electric Wiring.
Wiring a Air Conditioner
Electrical Question: Why is our Air Conditioner Circuit Not Working?
- My husband is trying to install a Window Air Conditioner for his brother, in an older model mobile home.
- He’s not an electrician but has wired lots of things over the years, including our whole shop. Has wired lots of 220 AC, welder, compressor, etc.
- He installed a new 20A 220Volt circuit breaker in the panel box, attached the white and black wires to breaker, and the bare copper wire to ground, but we still have no power to the new AC outlet.
- We thought it might be a grounding issue, so we ran a ground wire from the box out to the ground off of the service box, but still no power to the outlet.
- We changed the 12/2 wire multiple times, and changed the circuit breaker multiple times. We even changed the breaker position in box multiple times, but still no power to outlet.
- The AC is fine, and it works when plugged in to our 220 outlet. Any advice?
Thanks for your time.
This electrical question came from: Teresa, from Indiana.
Thanks for your electrical question Teresa.
Wiring an Air Conditioner Circuit
Application: Electric Circuit for a 220 Volt Air Conditioner.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the available access to the air conditioner circuit and electrical connection box.
Precaution: Identify the air conditioner circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the 220 volt air conditioner wiring.
Installing and Testing Air Conditioner Circuit Wiring
- Be sure the electrical circuit for the air conditioner has been installed as specified in the owners manual.
- The specifications for the air conditioning circuit will be described as Volts and Amps.
- Check the electrical wiring between the panel circuit breaker and the 220volt outlet.
- Make sure the correct breaker has been installed.
- Check the wiring connections to the receptacle for the air conditioner.
- Test the receptacle for the correct voltage.
More about Air Conditioning Circuit Wiring
Wiring 220 Volt Electrical Outlet
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how electrical outlets for the home are wired.
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Air Conditioner, Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Wiring a Switched Outlet Combo||Installing Electrical Wiring for Pool Equipment|