Minimum Height for Electric Service Meter
What is the minimum height for mounting an electric service? Mounting the Electric Service Meter.
Electric Service Meter
[ad#block] Electrical Question: What is the minimum height for mounting an electric service?
- Is there a minimum height for mounting of service meter on side of house.
- New underground service and the new service/meter is 43″ to top of can.
- My understanding is all panels should be mounted 60″-72″ above finished grade.
This electrical wiring question came from Anthony, in White Pine, Tennessee.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Anthony.
Installing an Electric Service
Application: Installing an Electric Service.
Skill Level: Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor or a Certified Master Electrician.
Tools Required: Electricians pouch of hand tools and the various power tools necessary for the specific method of electrical service installation.
Estimated Time: Depends on the type of panel, the location, and available access to the project area.
Precaution: This is an extensive project. Working in an electric panel has possible arc flash hazards and should be performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Notice: Installing an Electrical Service Panel should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Mounting the Electric Service Meter
- The Minimum Height for an Electric Service Meter is actually specified by the local electric utility provider or the power company.
- The NEC National Electrical Code does not specify a minimum height for a service meter, however the typical minimum height for mounting a service meter on side of a house is 5 to 6 feet above the finished grade or level ground.
More about Electrical Services
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electric Meter, Electrical Code NEC, Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Installing a Workshop Panel for a Welder||Ceiling Fan Rotation for Energy Savings|