Method to Convert 220 volt to 120 volt
Voltage Converters or Transformers for Specific 120 Volt Applications: A 120 volt circuit cannot be tapped off of a 220 volt circuit simply because there is no insulated neutral wire conductor that is used in this type of 220 volt circuit.
Voltage Converters or Transformers
[ad#block]Electrical Question: Would it be possible to tap into a 220v junction box for a 120 v power supply?
- On the ranch that I am working on there are three outdoor street lamps installed and they are all individually powered by their own 220v power line.
- The routing of one of the lines goes to a junction box and then continues to the street light.
- The junction box is attached to the side of a barn. I would like to install a receptacle with 110v in this barn.
- Would it be possible for me to safely tap into the 220v junction box for my power supply and if so what supplies should I have ?
This electrical wiring question came from: Russell, a Handyman in California.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Russell.
Voltage Converters or Transformers for Specific 120 Volt Applications
- A 120 volt circuit cannot be tapped off of a 220 volt circuit simply because there is no insulated neutral wire conductor that is used in this type of 220 volt circuit. However you may install a transformer or voltage converter which when installed correctly can produce the desired 120 volt circuit.
- Make sure that you are purchasing the correct size converter for your specific application and the devices that you will be connecting to this type of power supply are compatible.
- Be aware that the 220 volt lighting circuit may be energized all the time if the light fixtures are controlled by photocells. I would recommend that you have a qualified electrician assist you with this project.
To locate a supplier just search for : 220 to 120 Voltage Converters & Transformers
The Following will assist you with your Electrical Question:
For more information about Electrical Safety
Home Electrical Safety
A new approach to keep kids and electricity apart with hopes to prevent children from being injured by electricity.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Converters and Transformers, Electrical and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Upgrading 100 Amp Electric Service Panel to 150 Amp||Casablanca Ceiling Fan Wiring|