Locate and Repair an Electrical Circuit Problem
Locating a Problem Electrical Circuit and Methods for Electrical Circuit Repair – The electrical circuit will need to be removed from the circuit breaker and a special circuit locating transmitter can be installed onto the wire to help locate the area that has been penetrated.
Methods for Electrical Circuit Repair
Electrical Question: I just had new siding installed on my house.
- During the installation, one of my 120v circuits became shorted and the breaker will not reset.
- I assume there is a nail from the new siding causing the short.
- What is the best way to locate and repair the circuit?
This electrical wiring question came from: Cory, a Handyman from Colorado Springs, Colorado
See more about Electrical Wiring for Colorado
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Cory.
Locating a Problem Electrical Circuit and Methods for Electrical Circuit Repair
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester or Continuity Tester
Estimated Time: Depends on experience and level of problem solving skills.
Precaution: Testing live wires is dangerous and should be done by an experienced individual only. Testing using a continuity tester should only be made after the circuit has been identified and turned OFF and Tagged.
- The electrical circuit will need to be removed from the circuit breaker and a special circuit locating transmitter can be installed onto the wire to help locate the area that has been penetrated.
- This is best done by a qualified electrician.
- In the mean time all the devices that are on this circuit can be identified and the wiring can be tested to located the potential problem section of the circuit.
- The wiring leading to the problem area can be disconnected so the devices closest to the panel may be used, however all the remaining devices on the circuit will not work.
- If the damaged area of the wiring cannot be accessed then that section of wiring can be identified and capped off at both ends of that area of the affected circuit.
- The remaining devices of the circuit may be reconnected to another existing circuit or a new circuit can be installed to provide power fro the remaining devices.
The Following will assist you with Electrical Circuits
- Electric Circuit Listing
- The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
- Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring.
- When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
For more information about Troubleshooting
- Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
- Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting
- Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Circuit, Electrical Repair, Troubleshooting and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Electrical Wiring for an Attached Garage||Diagrams for Wiring Switched Outlets|