Light Switch Wire Connections
How To Wire Single Light Switches – When wiring a single pole light switch that only has two screw terminals or two plug-in connections on the back and the terminal for the ground wire.
Wiring a Single Pole Light Switch
[ad#block]Question: I have single pole switch that turns on a fluorescent garage fixture.
- The hardware store switch does not have color coded connectors, both terminal screws are brass.
- I connected from the rear little holes but I’m not sure if it makes a difference which wire I connect where.
- Is there a white or black wiring order to connect the wires to this type of switch?
This electrical wiring question came from: Juan, a Homeowner from Danville, California.
Thanks for your electrical question Juan.
How To Wire Single Light Switches
When wiring a single pole light switch that only has two screw terminals or two plug-in connections on the back and the terminal for the ground wire. For the Switched Power connections, it really does not matter where the switched wire or power wire is attached. The switch is just one contact between two points, so in this case, the electrical power can flow in either direction.
Electrical Tips for Wiring Light Switches
Make sure the light switch is grounded when a ground wire is present.
Install light switches so that the orientation of the switch is up for on, and down for off.
The Following will assist you with Wiring a Light Switch
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
- Garage Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Garage Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
- Electrical Code Articles
- Electrical Code Directory covering AFCI circuit, electrical-boxes, electrical-circuit, electrical-code-outlets, electrical GFCI, electrical-grounding, electrical-project, electrical-services, electrical-underground, electrical-wiring, electrical-wiring-code, lighting-code, smoke-detector,
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Light Switch Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Bathroom Heater Electrical Wiring||Installing a Electricity Cost Monitor|