Installing Three Way Dimmer Light Switches
How to Install One or Two 3-Way Dimmer Switches: I have 4 kitchen ceiling lights that are currently controlled by two 3-way switches. I’d like to add a dimmer.
Installing One or Two 3-Way Dimmer Switches
Question: I have 4 kitchen ceiling lights that are currently controlled by two 3-way switches. I’d like to add a dimmer.
- Can I replace both existing 3-way switches with 3-way dimmers or should I only dim using one dimmer switch?
- I assume that if I use two dimmers then I’ll only ever be able to get the full lumen output if both dimmers are fully “ON”, but I’d like to be able to dim from both switches.
This home electrical question came from: Doug, from Trumbull, Connecticut.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Doug.
Application: Wiring a Dimmer Switch.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate. This electrical wiring project is best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the dimmer switch wiring.
Materials: Make sure the replacement dimmer switch has the same amperage and voltage rating as the original switch, and is fully compatible with the electrical circuit, the light fixture and the type of light bulbs being used. The dimmer switch must be rated for the amount of watts that will be controlled.
Wiring for 3-Way Dimmer Switches
- Most 3-way dimmer switches provide Multi Location dimming capability.
- If you would like to have the dimming capability from both locations then make sure to install a pair of dimmers with this capability otherwise a single dimmer may be installed and the level of lumen output will be controlled by the one dimmer switch from both the switch and dimmer location.
- Typically there is a trim pot on the top of the dimmer that will allow you to adjust the lumen output for the full range.
More about Wiring Dimmer Switches
3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
Kitchen Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Kitchen Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Dimmer Switch and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Is Your Bathroom GFCI Outlet a Problem||Repairs for Outlets That Do Not Work|