Installing a Washer Dryer Unit with an Existing Dryer Plug
Will my 240volt 3 prong outlet work with a new dryer with a 250volt with a 4 prong cord? How to Connect 3 Prong and 4 Prong Plugs for a Washer Dryer Combo.
Electrical Plug for a Washer Dryer
Electrical Question: Will my 240volt 3 prong outlet work with a new dryer with a 250volt with a 4 prong cord?
- I want to buy a Bosch vent less washer and dryer, the washer dryer combo uses 240volts with 3 prongs.
- My outlet in the laundry closet has 30 amps 125/250volts with four prongs.
- Will it work and will the new dryer plug cause any damages by using a 240v 3 prong with outlet with 250v with 4 prong?
Please let me know.
This electrical question came from: Bill in New York.
Additional Comments: I love this site for an office worker that does not know any about electric wiring and usage?
Thanks for your electrical question Bill.
3 Prong and 4 Prong Plugs for a Washer Dryer Combo
- The new washer and dryer unit should work with your existing plug if it has the same configuration.
- The typical dyer circuit is 30 amps 125/250volts the difference is that the newer code requires 4-wire or a dedicated neutral.
More about Wiring a Washer and Dryer
3-Wire and 4-Wire Configurations for Clothes Dryers
- See an electric dryer installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system.
- You may have a 3-wire or 4-wire electric dryer, or a 3-wire or 4-wire outlet. See how the electric dryer is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Laundry Room Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Laundry Room Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|GFCI Circuit Protection for Shed Wiring||Wiring a Bathroom GFI Outlet and Light Switch|