Installing a Wall TV and Cable Box
Installing the Cable Wiring and a Special Junction Box for a Wall Mounted TV© By: Dave Rongey
Wall Mounted TV
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I have a wall mounted TV, and behind it is a 45-0010-BK box, with a receptacle installed in it per NEC and the box’s instructions.
The cable box fits inside this box, but its “wall wart” power adapter didn’t fit, so I used a 12″ extension cord, the power strip liberator, to make it fit.
Is it legal to tuck the excess wiring into the drywall cavity through the holes in the box like this?
Background: Matt, a Homeowner from Tallahassee, Florida, USA.
Additional Comments: Love the website.
Dave The Electrician’s Reply:
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Matt.
Installing the Cable Wiring and a Special Junction Box for a Wall Mounted TV
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Straight Slot and Philips Screw drivers for assembling the TV, a Flashlight to help read the Cable Connections.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools and assemble the mounting bracket, install the TV and components.
Precaution: If installing or relocating receptacle outlet power make sure to Identify the circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical circuit wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Recommended: Select a dependable Surge Protection Plug Strip to be used for all HDTV home theater system components to protect against power surges and other home power problems.
Cable Wiring for a Wall Mounted TV
- It is common practice to stuff excess multimedia cables inside the wall during the rough-in phase of cabling a home.
- After the finished installation the excess wiring is usually left inside the wall.
- Extra cabling comes in handy if adjustments or servicing is needed.
- All the signal cables and telephone wiring can be brought into one location for easy access.
- The recessed multimedia boxes are the best choice for flat panel wall mounted TVs.
- Telephone Wiring
- This telephone wiring diagram with photos and instructions will show you the direct steps to correctly wiring a telephone jack.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
More articles about Wall TV and Home Electrical Wiring:
|« Previous||Next »|