Installing a Switch Shorts a Wire and Trips Off The House
When installing a switch for a garbage disposal the power was on and the white wire grounded and tripped the breaker for the entire house: How to Repair Wiring Problems with Switches, Common Problems When Wiring Switches and How to Fix Them.
Switch Wiring Problems
Electrical Question: When installing a switch for a garbage disposal the power was on and the white wire grounded and tripped the breaker for the entire house.
- I capped the wires to finish the install.
- Now the outlets in the kitchen do not work.
- There is power to each outlet, but when I plug in a light to any of the outlets the light will not work.
- This home is in Illinois so everything is in conduit.
How do I locate the problem? After reading about this it appears that a neutral wire has come loose or burnt in the conduit.
This electrical wiring question came from: Edward, a Homeowner from Schaumburg, Illinois.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Edward.
How to Repair Wiring Problems with Switches
Application: Troubleshooting Switch Wiring Problems.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with hand tools and electrical troubleshooting skills.
Precaution: Identify the circuit, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before performing any wiring or switch testing.
Common Problems When Wiring Switches and How to Fix Them
IMPORTANT: When replacing a faulty switch it is best to work only with the wires that are connected to the switch and do not disturb the other circuit connections.
Troubleshooting Circuit Wiring Problems
The following is a guide to help troubleshoot complex problems with circuit wiring problems:
- Identify the Circuit Wires
It is essential to identify the circuit wiring to avoid incorrect electrical connections.
- Identify Circuit Problems
An insulated wire will not burn inside of a conduit unless there is a problem with the circuit wiring and incorrect circuit breaker protection.
- Identify the Circuit Connections
If some of the wires have become disconnected, it is essential to identify and understand the circuit before the wires are capped off.
- Testing Circuit Devices
Test all the GFCI outlets and other devices of the same circuit and replace any that prove defective. When a circuit short to ground occurs there is a possibility that the short may cause a GFCI outlet to be damaged.
- The Panel Circuit Connections
The circuit wiring should be checked at the panel, including the connection of the neutral wire to the neutral terminal strip to make sure it is not burnt and the connection is tight and secure.
- Check Connections at Junction Boxes
Inspect any splices that are in the junction box where you were working. Restore the original circuit connections.
More about Wiring Switches
Wiring Diagrams for a Garbage Disposal
Wiring a Garbage Disposal
- Fully explained disposal wiring diagrams with pictures for wiring the outlet that serves a dishwasher and a garbage disposal.
- One very important element can be easily overlooked as you will see in these pictures.
More about Electrical Wiring
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home.
- See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical, Troubleshooting and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Size a Generator For Your Home||Electrical Wiring for Light Fixtures|