» Home » Electrical Wiring Projects
» Residential Electrical Wiring: Dave's Guide to Home Wiring
Installing a Pre-Wired Ceiling Fan
How to Install a Ceiling Fan into a Room that has been Pre-wired for Two Switches
Identifying Wiring for Pre-Wired Ceiling Fans
[ad#block]Electrical Question: The house was pre-wired with two separate switches.
- One for the fan and one for the light.
- I am ready to hook the fan and light up.
- I can see that one four wire line is what should have been run through the two switches.
- What has been run is two separate 3 wire lines.
- Can I hook the respective hot wires up and joint the two separate neutral wires to the one neutral wire provided by the fan?
This electrical question came from: Gene, a Handyman from Kingsbury, Texas
Thanks for your electrical question Gene.
How to Install a Ceiling Fan into a Pre-wired Room
Installing a Ceiling Fan into a Room that has been Pre-wired for Two Switches
- Carefully identify the individual wires that come from the wall switches.
- If there are two sets of 3-wire cables (4-wires including the ground) then it is possible that the second 3-wire cable may lead to a second ceiling fan or light fixture location, and this would need to be verified as well.
CEILING FAN RESOURCES
Ceiling Fan Wire
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about Ceiling Fan Wiring
Ceiling Fan Wiring
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Ceiling Fans, Wiring Configurations and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Identifying A Bad Light Switch||Installing Kitchen Outlet Wiring|