Install Dusk to Dawn Fixture by the Front Door
There is a switch by the front door that controls the outside lights. Should that fixture control the other two lights?
Dusk to Dawn Porch Light
Electrical Question: There is a switch by the front door that controls the outside lights. There is a fixture on the outside above the switch and 2 more fixtures on each side of the garage.
- There is a switch by the front door that controls the outside lights. There is a fixture on the outside above the switch and two more fixtures on each side of the garage.
- I want to install a light sensor (Dusk to Dawn) fixture by the front door. Should that fixture control the other two lights? Secondly, the current fixtures call for 60 W bulbs. I put in 100 W LED. Is that OK? Thank you for your help.
This electrical wiring question came from Frank, a Handyman in Oklahoma.
Additional Comments: Seems to be a very helpful website covering a multitude of electrical problems.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Frank.
Installing a Dusk to Dawn Light
Application: Install a Dusk to Dawn Light.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor, or Certified Electrician.
Electrical Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester, and appropriate Safety Gear.
Estimated Time: Depends on the personal level experience, ability to work with tools, install electrical circuit wiring, and the available access to the project area.
Electrical Safety: Identify the electrical power source to the Dusk to Dawn Light, turn it OFF and Tag with a Note before working with the electrical wiring.
Electrical Wiring Parts and Materials: Electrical parts and materials for the Dusk to Dawn Light should be approved for the specific project and compliant with local and national electrical codes.
Electrical Codes and Inspections: Installing or changing home electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes as adopted in Oklahoma. A permit and inspections may also be required.
Install a Light for a Front Porch
This electrical wiring project is about Installing a Dusk to Dawn Light at the Front Porch of an Old Home.
Install a Dusk to Dawn Light and Garage Lights
Reviewing the Electrical Question:
- There is a switch by the front door that controls the outside lights. Should that fixture control the other two lights?
- No. Each light should work separately.
- The current fixtures call for 60 Watt bulbs. I put in 100 Watt LED. Is that OK?
- Yes. Replacement LED bulbs produce less heat than an incandescent light bulb.
- NOTE: Because you may be installing a Dusk to Dawn light on the front porch, and the other outside lights are on the same switch, you may want the other outside light fixtures to be motion detector lights.
More about Installing a Motion Detector and Dusk to Dawn Lights
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Installing Motion Detector and Security Light Fixtures
Installing motion detector lighting fixtures provide security and energy savings and they can easily replace an existing exterior wall fixture.
Garage Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Garage Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Porch Light and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Adding Electric Wiring to a Garage||Will a Laundry Unit Work with the Outlet in Our Apartment?|