Wire a Switched Outlet to Control a Lamp
Wire a Switched Outlet for a Lamp | Identify the Electrical Circuit Wiring, Switched Outlet Wiring Diagram.© By: Dave Rongey
Switched Outlet Wiring
Electrical Project: I wired a switched outlet for a lamp and the fixture smoked, what did I do wrong?
My electrical wiring project involves an Electrical Problem when I wired a Switched Outlet.
- I have an unused box on a 20amp circuit that had been capped off and covered before I bought my 1950s house.
- My plan is to install a switched outlet that will control a lamp.I wired up a 15amp receptacle last night and plugged in an old aquarium-style light with two fluorescent tubes that I knew worked.
- When I flipped the switch on, the light turned on, but it also started smoking.
- The pictures show my wiring scheme. One thing I noted is that my on/off switch seems to be backwards compared to ones I’ve seen in wiring diagrams online.
- I don’t know if this is relevant, but I found a second unused source on this circuit that was left hanging behind drywall.
- I can’t find any other outlets or lights that are on this circuit.
- Do you see something obvious that I did wrong, or is this a job for a pro?Thanks so much for all the effort you put into this website, it’s a GREAT resource!
This electrical wiring question came from Annie, a Homeowner in Iowa City, Iowa.
Additional Comments: Thank you so much for offering your expertise! It is much appreciated!
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Annie.
Wire a Switched Outlet for a Lamp
- Application: Electrical Problem when Wiring a Switched Outlet.
- Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor, or Certified Electrician.
- Electrical Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester, and appropriate Safety Gear.
- Estimated Time: This will depend on the personal level experience, ability to work with tools, install electrical circuit wiring, and the available access to the project area.
- Electrical Safety: Identify the electrical power source to the Switched Outlet, turn it OFF and Tag with a Note before working with the electrical wiring.
- Electrical Wiring Parts and Materials: Electrical parts and materials for the Switched Outlet should be approved for the specific project and compliant with local and national electrical codes.
- Electrical Codes and Inspections: Installing or changing home electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes as adopted in Iowa City, Iowa. A permit and inspections may also be required.
Avoid Problems When Wiring a Switched Outlet
This project is about an Electrical Problem that was encountered when wiring a Switched Outlet in the Entry area of a Old Home.
Switched Outlet Electrical Problem
- First, I would like to advise you that before using the wiring in a outlet box for any purpose the circuit wiring will need to be positively identified to understand what the circuit was previously used for, and if there are any problems with the circuit wiring.
- Identify the Electrical Circuit
The circuit can be identified with various methods using a ohm meter or a voltage meter. A voltage meter will be the best method so we can verify voltage and the condition of the circuit wiring. Keep in mind this is not all inclusive, as there may be unseen issues or problems that may have lead to the discontinued use of the wiring.
- From what you have described, I would suspect that the voltage is not 120volts, but most likely 220-240 volts, and this would explain why the light fixture started to smoke. It is possible that this is a dedicated circuit that was once used for an electric heater, air conditioner, or other such equipment depending on the actual location of the electrical box.
- If this is the case, then the circuit might be able to be converted by a qualified electrician to 120volts after careful inspections and conversions of the circuit wires inside the panel .
- Update from Annie: Electrician Called, Problem Solved
I had an electrician come today, and you were exactly right about the circuit being 220 volts. An easy fix for the electrician, and I was reminded that I have no idea what I’m doing. I’m glad I didn’t burn my house down!
More about Electrical Wiring for a Switched Outlet
Switched Outlet Wiring Diagram
Electrician Explains How a Switched Outlet is Wired with Wiring Diagram
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Electrical Circuit Wiring
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Home Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
Basic Home Wiring Diagrams
Electrical Wiring Diagrams
Articles about Electrical Wiring
Home electrical wiring diagrams are an important tool for completing your electrical projects. An electrical wiring diagram can be as simple as a diagram showing how to install a new switch in your hallway, or as complex as the complete electrical blueprint for your new home or home improvement project.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Combo Switch Outlet, Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Why a Light Fixture May Not Be Working||Adding Circuits and Upgrading Home Electrical Wiring|