How To Wire Switches for a Chandelier Light Fixture
Wiring Connections When Hanging a Chandelier Light Fixture: With most home lighting fixtures the wiring colors are black, white and a bare or green ground wire for the light fixture and the wiring from the electrical junction box, however there may be a few wire color combinations to be aware of.
Wiring Configurations When Hanging a Chandelier Light Fixture
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I am taking down a ceiling fan which is a fan and light combo, and I’m putting up a chandelier.
- The fan is currently hooked up to a switch box which contains two switches.
- One for the fan and one for the light.
- My question is whats the best way to hook up the chandelier to one of the switches to control the light and cut out the fan switch.
Background: Scott, a Student from Medford, New York.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Scott.
Wiring Connections for a Chandelier Light Fixture
With most home lighting fixtures the wiring colors are black, white and a bare or green ground wire for the light fixture and the wiring from the electrical junction box, however there may be a few wire color combinations to be aware of.
Application: Ceiling Mounted or Wall Mounted Light Fixture.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the light fixture.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional fixture wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
- Scott, the best thing to do is choose any of the two wires that you wish to use.
- It doesn’t matter which one, just cap off the one that will become a spare and keep it available for any changes later on.
- If you want you can connect the chandelier to both the black and red wires.
- This way either switch will turn on the light.
- If you choose just one wire just do not make the mistake of cutting off the wire just because your not gong to use it.
- Just insulate it and make it safe.
- The extra switch can be left alone or removed and replaced with a blank or filler piece which will fill the space where the old switch was located.
More about Home Electrical Wiring
- Electrical Wiring
- Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
- Electrical Junction Boxes
- Lighting For The Home
- Lighting Electrical Codes
- Light Switch Wiring
- Wiring Diagrams
- Electrical Wiring
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Fixtures, Lighting and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Wiring Connections for a Light Fixture||Wiring Connections for a Heated Exhaust Fan|