How to Wire an Outlet for a Air Compressor
Wiring an Air Compressor: How do I wire a new outlet and light fixture where both are controlled by a single pole switch which is at the end of the line.
Electrical Wiring Options for an Air Compressor
[ad#block]Electrical Question: How do I wire a new outlet and light fixture where both are controlled by a single pole switch which is at the end of the line.
- I have a small 120 volt air compressor that I want to put in the corner of my garage and turn it on and off (its outlet) with a switch on the other side of the garage.
- I want the light fixture to be “on” when the compressor’s outlet is hot as a visual reminder to me that the compressor is on– I do not want to leave the compressor powered when I am gone because it will cycle on and off.
This electrical question came from: , a Homeowner from Louisville, Kentucky.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question.
How to Wire an Air Compressor
Application: Wiring a 120 Volt Electrical Circuit for an Air Compressor.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced. This electrical wiring project is best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, electric drill, auger bits and extension cord.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and install electrical circuit wiring.
Notice: Installing additional outlet wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
- The specific size of the circuit will depend on the size of the 120 volt air compressor, and if it is not very large then you may be able to extend the circuit wiring down from the garage light fixture, this way the light will be on when the air compressor is on as well.
- If the air compressor is larger then it is best to install a dedicated circuit to make sure the air compressor has plenty of power by itself. You could install a switch that would control the air compressor as well, however once the air tank has been fully pressurized the unit should not cycle on and off.
Air Compressor Motor Start and Stop
- To minimize air leaks that trigger the air compressor to cycle on and off it is best to remove any attachments that may be plugged into the hose. This one thing stopped all cycling of my air compressor.
More about Electrical Circuit Wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Garage Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Garage Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
For more information about Wiring Diagram
Home electrical wiring diagrams are an important tool for completing your electrical projects. An electrical wiring diagram can be as simple as a diagram showing how to install a new switch in your hallway, or as complex as the complete electrical blueprint for your new home or home improvement project.
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Energy Savings Controls for Outdoor Lighting||What about the old electrical wiring in my home?|