Wire a Water Heater Timer Control to Save Electricity
Save on Your Electric Bill with a Water Heater Time Control | Wiring diagram with the Connections for a Water Heater Timer, Explanation of the Water Heater Timer Wiring Diagram.© By: Dave Rongey
Water Heater Timer
Electrical Question: How do I wire a water heater timer control?
- I am wiring a woods hot water heater timer Model 59396.
- With this setup I am wiring the Timer and Load with different voltage. This is because our electric utility can switch off our heater at certain times.
- I will have a 120volt to the timer and the heater circuit is 220volt. Do I leave all 4 jumpers connected?
- The diagram shows one dotted line from the box to the COM. Does this imply both the black and white wires go to COM terminal?
- Also the same for the load, Do both the black and white wire go to NO terminal?
This electrical wiring question came from Jim, in Chili, Wisconsin.
Additional Comments: This is a real cool website! Hope it works out!
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Jim.
Wiring a Water Heater Time Control
Application: Installing an Electric Water Heater Timer Control.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Volt Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools and install and connect the 220 volt timer control circuit wiring.
Precaution: Identify the 220 volt water heater circuit at the panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before making the oven wiring connections.
Notice: When installing or modifying 220 volt circuit wiring the work should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Water Heater Timer Wiring Diagram
Water Heater Timer Controls Can Save Energy and Lower Your Utility Bill
- This electrical question mentions that electric utility can switch off the heater at certain times, and I’m not sure if this is because of an energy savings program or a function of the smart meter system. I would encourage you to contact your local utility company for more information and how the program works for your home.
- When selecting a water heater timer it is best to select one where the timer motor is the same voltage as the circuit voltage as the water heater. This will prevent the need for an additional power source for the timer motor, and it can avoid a lot of confusion.
- When wiring a timer control there may be different ways of describing the connections, as listed below:
- LINE is the incoming circuit power.
- LOAD is the power leading to the equipment, in this case the water heater.
Explanation of the Water Heater Timer Wiring Diagram
- NO is the abbreviation for Normally Open, which is when the circuit to the device is OFF.
- NC is the abbreviation for Normally Closed , or is when the circuit to the device is ON, which for this application NC is not used.
- COM – is the abbreviation for Common, and this can be confusing for non-electricians, because Common often refers to the Neutral Wire, or the Neutral side of the 120 Volt Circuit. In this case the COM is referring to the energized wire of the Power Source, this is also referred to as the LINE.
- Each circuit wire of the LINE or incoming circuit is attached individually to COM and COM2.
Each circuit wire leading to the Water Heater is attached individually to NO and NO2.
How a Water Heater Control Timer Works
- The timer is set to function within the desired range, typically to go ON 1 hour before arising in the morning, and then the OFF schedule and an additional ON / OFF schedule will depend on the home occupants and their schedule.
- When the scheduled time is reached a connection is made between each COM and the corresponding NO and the circuit power is activated for the water heater.
More about Wiring a Water Heater Timer and Energy Savings for the Home
Home Energy Savings
Methods that show how to start saving energy right away for very little investment compared to the savings you will realize.
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
House Wiring Diagrams
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
More articles about Electrical Wiring, Water Heater and Home Electrical Wiring:
|« Previous||Next »|