How To Switch A Ceiling Fan Light Apart From The Fan
Here are some Electrical Wiring Options for the Ceiling Fan Light Fixture that will allow you to control the Light Fixture separately from the Ceiling Fan Motor.
Electrical Wiring Options for the Ceiling Fan Light Fixture
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I have an existing 3 way wall switch for two lights; power in switch.
- I want to use a ceiling fan light (only, not fan) in the existing circuit so the fan light is on-off by the wall switch (ignoring wire lenght here).
- The 9 yr old Hunter ceiling fan only has 3 wires; two blacks and one white common.
- It then has a connection from the fan to the light assembly no blue wire at the top of fan housing.
- My plan is to operate the fan by remote and the fan light by the wall switches.
- At the fan- bring new power source up to fan black wire.
- At the fan light use existing power source to existing light and share the common wire for fan and light?
Background: Dan, a Homeowner from Petaloma, CA
Dave’s Reply: Thanks for your electrical question Dan.
How to Control the Light Fixture Separately from the Ceiling Fan Motor
- As long as one of the Black Wires of the Hunter Fan does in fact make a connection to the Blue / Light Assembly then Yes, what you have described should work just fine because you are providing unswitched power from the existing wall switch and connecting the newly installed cable to the ceiling fan directly for the pull chain operation of the ceiling fan and sharing the neutral is the same as original, actually one neutrals will be redundant, you may want to just cap off the neutral from the new power feed that you install for the fan hot.
This method of wiring may be transposed to other brands of ceiling fan as well and is not limited to the Hunter Ceiling Fan.
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
For Best Results Consult a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Locate An Electrical Contractor in Your Area
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Ceiling Fans, Wiring With Fixtures and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How To Fix 4-Way Switch Wiring||Am I Qualified to Install my Electrical Wiring Project?|