How to Replace a Ceiling Fan Motor Speed Switch
What is the Process for Replacing a 3-Speed Switch for an Older Ceiling Fan: The pull chain 3-speed switch for most ceiling fans may be purchased and replaced fairly easily.
Ceiling Fan 3-Speed Pull Chain Switch
[ad#block]Electrical Question: My ceiling fan 3 speeds are not working.
- The ceiling fan is approximately 15 years old and I purchased it form Home Depot.
- I opened up the cover where the switch is and wiggled the wires and it worked. But lately that doesn’t even work.
- I can feel a slight vibration at three different levels using the switch and when I turn it off too.
- Is the ceiling fan worn out or is it just the switch?
This electrical wiring question came from: Stan in Florida.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Stan.
Replace a Ceiling Fan 3-Speed Switch
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate. This electrical wiring project is best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Materials: Make sure the replacement pull chain switch has the same as the original switch, and is fully compatible with the ceiling fan that you have.
The Process for Replacing a 3-Speed Switch for an Older Ceiling Fan
- The pull chain 3-speed switch for most ceiling fans may be purchased and replaced fairly easily.
- Turn OFF the electrical circuit for the ceiling fan and mark the circuit showing that the circuit is being worked on.
- Remove the cover to expose the 3-speed switch.
- Copy down all of the wiring connections before removing the 3-speed switch.
- Cap any bare wires with small wire connectors or place electrical tape over them.
- Take the switch to your hardware store and purchase the exact replacement.
- Keep the original switch for reference. Install the new 3-speed switch and make the wiring connections.
- Replace the cover and restore the circuit power.
- If you find that the ceiling fan is worn out then purchase a replacement.
- See the links below for instructions for installing a new ceiling fan.
More about Installing ans Wiring Ceiling Fans
How to Install Ceiling Fans
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring.
- Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
- Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
- Ceiling Fan Wiring
- Ceiling Fan Installation
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Install Outside Outlets||GFCI Protected Plug Strips for Projects and Applications|