How to Replace a Ceiling Fan Motor Speed Switch
What is the Process for Replacing a 3-Speed Switch for an Older Ceiling Fan: The pull chain 3-speed switch for most ceiling fans may be purchased and replaced fairly easily.
Ceiling Fan 3-Speed Pull Chain Switch
Electrical Question: My ceiling fan 3 speeds are not working.
- The ceiling fan is approximately 15 years old and I purchased it form Home Depot.
- I opened up the cover where the switch is and wiggled the wires and it worked. But lately that doesn’t even work.
- I can feel a slight vibration at three different levels using the switch and when I turn it off too.
- Is the ceiling fan worn out or is it just the switch?
This electrical wiring question came from: Stan in Florida.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Stan.
Replace a Ceiling Fan 3-Speed Switch
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate. This electrical wiring project is best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Materials: Make sure the replacement pull chain switch has the same as the original switch, and is fully compatible with the ceiling fan that you have.
The Process for Replacing a 3-Speed Switch for an Older Ceiling Fan
- The pull chain 3-speed switch for most ceiling fans may be purchased and replaced fairly easily.
- Turn OFF the electrical circuit for the ceiling fan and mark the circuit showing that the circuit is being worked on.
- Remove the cover to expose the 3-speed switch.
- Copy down all of the wiring connections before removing the 3-speed switch.
- Cap any bare wires with small wire connectors or place electrical tape over them.
- Take the switch to your hardware store and purchase the exact replacement.
- Keep the original switch for reference. Install the new 3-speed switch and make the wiring connections.
- Replace the cover and restore the circuit power.
- If you find that the ceiling fan is worn out then purchase a replacement.
- See the links below for instructions for installing a new ceiling fan.
More about Installing ans Wiring Ceiling Fans
How to Install Ceiling Fans
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring.
- Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
- Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
- Ceiling Fan Wiring
- Ceiling Fan Installation
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Install Outside Outlets||GFCI Protected Plug Strips for Projects and Applications|