» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
How to Install Wiring for Garage Lighting
How Can Add a Light Fixture to the Existing Light? Electrical Wiring for Additional Light Fixtures.
Wiring for Garage Light Fixtures
[ad#block]Electrical Question: How Can Add a Light Fixture to the Existing Light Fixture?
- I am installing 2 additional light fixtures (single bulb) in my garage.
- I only have attic access to one of the current light fixture boxes.
- Should I install the additional fixtures in series from the one I have access to, or in parallel? What is the difference? A diagram of how to install a pigtail properly would be great, too.
Thanks in advance for your help!!
This electrical wiring question came from: Dustin, a Homeowner from Collinsville, Oklahoma.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Dustin.
How to Install Electrical Wiring for Garage Light Fixtures
Application: Garage Electrical Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced. This electrical wiring project is best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Electricians Pouch of Hand Tools for Rough-In Wiring, Electric Drill and Auger Bits and Extension Cord.
Estimated Time: Depends on the extent of the project, the type of construction and available access to the project area.
Precaution: Any existing wiring in the immediate area that may interfere with the installation should be identified and turned OFF and Tagged.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Electrical Wiring for a Garage Light
- Dustin, series and parallel wiring are often misunderstood because there are a few different applications where these methods are used. One is with the supply of electrical power, the other is the connections to electrical devices.
- When installing electrical wiring to provide power as a circuit and to devices such as outlets or light fixtures it is best to make the wire connections color to color, from the power source to the last outlet or light fixture.
- Home electrical wiring in the USA is not installed in a loop configuration, so when the wiring goes to the last outlet or light fixture that is where it ends. This is because the hot or in most cases the black wire provides the power in, the return path is provided by the white neutral wire, and the ground is provided for safety of the electrical wiring components.
Series Wiring Connections
- The reference to series connections of electrical devices is where the incoming and outgoing wiring is not spliced together, but rather attached to the device which is most commonly an outlet. This is not a recommended practice because the electrical circuit load is passed through every device which may cause a failure due to expansion and contraction of the metal device components when the circuit load is substantial.
- In this example of adding a garage light, the wiring would be installed from the existing garage light fixture and extended to the additional light fixture location, and the connections would follow as they are, color to color, as connected at the existing light fixture.
NOTE: As Always, install all electrical wiring with a permit through your local building department and have the wiring project inspected.
More about Garage Electrical Wiring
- This example of pig tail wiring is using the parallel method of wiring where the connection is not made or run through the device. With this method of wiring is where the wiring connections are made color to color therefore the electrical circuit does not rely on the device, in fact if the device was removed the circuit would still be providing power.
Garage Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Garage Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
|More articles about Electric Wiring, Garage Lights and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Why Is My Voltage Not Right After My Circuit Breaker Tripped Off?||New Home Wiring and Electrical Service Size|
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.