» Home » Electrical Wiring Projects
» Residential Electrical Wiring: Dave's Guide to Home Wiring
How To Wire Light Fixture Cord Wires
How can I determine how to connect the wires of a light fixture cord? How to Identify and Connect Light Fixture Cord Wires.
Guide to Wiring Light Fixture Cords
[ad#block]Electrical Question: How can I determine how to connect the wires of a light fixture cord?
- I am replacing lights under the shelf on my desk with fluorescent fixtures which are wired in parallel, as I have learned how to do here.
- I want to use the electrical cord that I cut off from the old light to power the new fixtures, since it is already attached to the desk and shelf.
- How can I determine which wire in the cord to attach to the white wire in the fixtures?
- And which to attach to the black?
Background: Johnny, a Homeowner in South Carolina.
Additional Comments: I love this site. It is an excellent resource for me.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Johnny.
Wiring Light Fixture Cord Wires
Application: Wiring a Light Fixture Cord.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, comprehension, and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
How to Identify 120 Volt Light Fixture Cord Wires
Electric Light Fixture Cords have Two Distinct Indicators
- Flat Light Fixture Cords have two indications that are fairly easy to identify which will reveal how each wire is connected.
- The side of the cord that has Lines on one side identify that side as the neutral.The neutral wire of a 120 volt circuit is typically the white wire.
- The side of the cord that has a Smooth surface identifies that side as the power. The power wire of a 120 volt circuit is typically the black wire.
More about Wiring Light Fixtures
Electrical Wire for the Home
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about Electrical Wiring
Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Cord Questions, Electrical Wiring, Identifying Wires Questions and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Upgrading an Electrical Service Panel||How to Identify Flat Cord Wires|