How To Fix 4-Way Switch Wiring
How to Avoid Confusion about the White Wire and 4 Way Switch Wiring with the power and the 3-wire cable of the 3 Way Switches
How to Avoid Confusion about the White Wire and 4 Way Switch Wiring
Electrical Question: I have a 4 way switch wiring question.
- I have the first switch with the power and the 14/3 3 way wire so connect the neutrals and that one is done.
- The one I have trouble with is the 2nd box.
- I have the 3 wire from the 1st switch the 3 wire going to the 3rd box which is dead ended because I have the switch leg also going to the 2nd box?
- So there are two 14/3 wires and the 14/2 wire switch leg.
Please help me splice this.
Additional Comments: please need your help!
Background: Dan, a Other from Oroville, Wash
Thanks for your electrical question Dan.
4 Way Switch Wiring
- The neutrals should be spliced and pass through the middle switch box, then splice to the neutral wire that goes to the light fixture at the last switch box.
- You may experience challenges wiring the center 4-way switch.
- Pay close attention to the colors of the screws on the 4-way switch and understand that one set of wires are attached to one set of screws, and the other set of wires attach to the other set of screws.
- Getting this reversed is a common mistake that is made when wiring 4-way switches.
4 Way Switch Wiring
Fully explained 4 way switch diagrams. 4-way switches are a convenient way to operate lighting fixtures from three or more locations. The electrical wiring adds additional wiring to the same principles of 3-way switching.
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about 4-Way Switch, Electrical, Lighting and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Factors to Consider For Home Made Light Fixtures||How To Switch A Ceiling Fan Light Apart From The Fan|