» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
How To Extract A Broke Ground Prong from an Outlet
Extracting a Broken Ground Prong From an Outlet – If the ground prong is hallow then insert a small screw driver into the space and twisting it slightly until it is wedged then pull out gently.
How to Get That Broken Prong Out of an Outlet
[ad#block]Electrical Question: The grounding prong broke off for vacuum when the cord was pulled from across the room (bad deal).
- Do I need to kill the power to get it out?
- And whats the best way to do it?
This electrical wiring question came from: Mike, a Handyman from Durango, Delaware.
See more about Home Wiring for Delaware
Thanks for your home electrical repair question Mike.
Mike, bummer deal – but stuff happens. Yes, it’s always a good idea to turn off the circuit before trying to pry the broken prong out of the outlet. I have listed some ideas below.
How to Extract a Broken Ground Prong From an Outlet
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, needle nose pliers and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of outlets that will be replaced.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
- First, turn off the power to the outlet circuit.
- Use a small needle nose pair of pliers to grab the prong and pull it out.
- If the ground prong is hallow then insert a small screw driver into the space and twisting it slightly until it is wedged then pull out gently.
- Find a small screw and screw it into the hollow ground prong and the pull it out.
- If all else fails then replace the outlet with a new one.
The Following will assist you with electrical outlets:
For more information about Grounding
- Electrical Grounding Methods and Requirements
- Listing of electrical codes for grounding with examples of electrical grounding codes for home electrical wiring.
This link is helpful as a Handyman
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
|More articles about Electrical Repairs, Extract Broken Ground Prong and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|250 Volt Outlet Hook Up for Older Dryer||Help With 4 Way Switch Wiring|
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.