How to Convert 120volt to 220volt
Converting 120 volt to 220 volt for Specific Equipment: Can I convert 120volt to 220volt for a CNC Router requiring 220v 1Ph 20amp?
Guide to Convert 120volt to 220volt
[ad#block] Electrical Question: Can I convert 120volt to 220volt for a CNC Router requiring 220v 1Ph 20amp?
- I am operating a custom sign business in Toy Hauler RV.
- The equipment I will be using is a Shopbot CNC Router requiring 220v 1Ph 20amp.
- I want to know if I can design a voltage converter to get 220V at RV Parks across America? Most all RV Parks have ample power but all are 110V 30amp and 110v 50 amp.
- Can I take two 110v 30 amp out lets (separate cords (10ga/4 wire) and join them at a custom circuit panel so I can plug in my CNC Router? Or can I use a junction box for both cords to make a 220V Plug?
- I am desperate to know as I depend on this machine so it needs reliable power.
- Do you have any other resources that would be help full? There are typically a 110volt 30amp and 110volt 50amp Plugs available.
This electrical wiring question came from Stewart, in Tyler, Texas.
Additional Comments: Found very informative, I just have an unusual circumstance.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Stewart.
Converting 120volt to 220 volt
- Typical Power Sources at RV Parks
- 30 amp 120 volt.
- 50 amp 120/240 volt.
- NOTE: Electrical power panels available at RV Parks may vary depending on the location. Contact the prospective RV park for complete information about the specific power that is available.
Converting 120 volt to 220 volt for Specific Equipment
- Safety First for Voltage Conversions
- Two separate 120 voltage power sources may NOT be joined together to create a 220 volt circuit.
- Unsafe connections and unreliable circuit protection can be hazardous.
- 120 to 220 Volt Converters
- There are a variety of voltage converters available for many applications.
- A voltage converter should be rated for the specific voltage and amperage of the device to be connected.
- The type of device or equipment must be compatible with the voltage converter that is selected.
- Equipment Specifications and Voltage Converters
- To ensure safety and reliability the voltage converter must be compliant with the equipment that it will be powering and the intended use.
- Consult the equipment owners manual for approved or recommended voltage converter makes and model numbers.
- Equipment warranties and guarantees may be null and void if the power source or voltage converter is not compliant with the equipment.
More about RV Electrical Wiring
RV Electrical Wiring Topics
Electrician Answers Questions about Mobile Home electrical circuit, RV main breaker trips and wiring RV outlets.
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Learn more about Home Electrical Wiring
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about 240 Volt Receptacle Outlet, Converters and Transformers, Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How To Wire a Switched Outlet||How to Replace a Light Socket for a Light Fixture|