How To Control Outside Electrical Outlets
Wiring for Outside GFCI Outlets – the most practical solution would be to install X-10 outlets that could be controlled by a hand held remote or a X-10 switch.
Solutions for Controlling Outside Outlets
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I do not have access to the basement of the house where the circuit breaker is, so shutting of the power is not an potion.
- There are two live electrical outlets located on the porch of the building. Teenagers use these outlets to plug boom boxes and charge their cell phones.
- They constantly create a loud disturbance and are verbally loud and abusive when asked to unplug their stuff.
- Is there anyway I can disable the outlets without short circuiting anything or shocking myself.
- The landlord has given me permission to do this. The first floor apt is locked and empty. That’s the only unit with access to the circuit breaker. The landlord is away on vacation and won’t return for a few weeks.
- What can I do to cut the electric to the receptacles, or render them unusable so we can get some peace and quiet.
This electrical question came from: Enrico, a Handy-woman from Philadelphia PA
Thanks for your electrical question Enrico.
Wiring for Outside GFCI Outlets
Enrico, there would need to be access to the panel so the circuit for these outlets could be identified and shut off, and then the wiring could be temporarily disconnected from the outlet to discourage the use of them, however keep in mind that these outside outlets are required by code. The landlord could have a switch installed that would control the power to these outlets, however the most practical solution would be to install X-10 outlets that could be controlled by a hand held remote or a X-10 switch. If X-10 outlets are used the a GFI circuit breaker would need to be installed to provide the required GFCI protection for these outside outlets.
The Following Resources will assist you with your Electrical Wiring Question:
Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
electrical outlet wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Electric Circuit Listing
The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
For more information about Electrical Wiring
Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
This link is helpful as a Handy-woman
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Outlets, Switched Outlet and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Adding New Lights to 3-Way Switches||Testing Appliance Circuits|