How to Configure a Solar Panel and Battery System
How can I configure a solar panel and battery system? The Basics for Designing A Solar Panel System.© By: Dave Rongey
Solar Panel and Battery System
Electrical Question: How can I configure a solar panel and battery system?
John, an Electrical worker asks:
I want to know how I could wire a dormitory accommodating 80 students using solar panels and batteries only. The dormitory has 10 security lights and 26 internal lights.
Jeffrey in California asks:
I live in an apartment and I want to connect a solar panel to a portable ac unit to save money. The AC unit I have is 13a 120vac 60hz 1560w. I just need to know what panels and equipment I need to make it work.
Thanks for your electrical wiring questions.
How To Design a PV Solar Panel and Battery System
Application: PV Solar Panel System.
Skill Level: Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor, or Certified Electrician.
Electrical Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester, and appropriate Safety Gear.
Estimated Time: Depends on the personal level experience, ability to work with tools, install electrical circuit wiring, and the available access to the project area.
Electrical Safety: Identify the electrical power source to the Window AC Unit, turn it OFF and Tag with a Note before working with the electrical wiring.
Electrical Wiring Parts and Materials and Components: Electrical parts and materials for the solar power system should be approved for the specific project and compliant with local and national electrical codes.
Electrical Codes and Inspections: Installing or changing home electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes as adopted in your specific location. A permit and inspections will also be required.
The Basics for Designing A Solar Panel System
- Electrical Device Connected Load: When designing a PV Solar Power Project like this you must begin by considering the following:
- Add up the total watts (the Load) that will be connected to the PV solar panel system.
- Determine the number of hours the electrical load of all the devices will be in operation when connected to the solar powered PV System.
- Sunlight Exposure: Determine the type of exposure your location has to sunlight and how many hours of sun exposure the solar panels will obtain during the various seasons of the year with consideration to the device loads that will be used during these times of the year.
- Solar Panels: Determine the best type of solar panels that will be needed based on your specific application.
- Solar Panel Location: Install the solar panels in the best optimal location with respect to the seasonal exposure to sunlight.
- Charge Controller and Inverter, Solar Power Battery Storage: The PV solar power system will require a charge controller to properly regulate the power from the solar panels to the storage batteries, and an inverter to deliver the required power to the electrical device load. The Charger and Inverter will need to be calculated using the same electrical device load factors as stated above, with regard to the voltage, electrical load (amps or watts), and the total number of hours to operate the electrical devices (watt hours).
More about Solar Panel Systems
I have provided the following resources that lead to more detailed information that will assist you:
- You have many options for using renewable energy at home from solar-powered outdoor lights to buying renewable energy from your utility to even producing solar electricity at home with photovoltaic PV solar panels.
For more information about Wiring Diagram
- Wiring Diagram
- Home electrical wiring diagrams are an important tool for completing your electrical projects. An electrical wiring diagram can be as simple as a diagram showing how to install a new switch in your hallway, or as complex as the complete electrical blueprint for your new home or home improvement project.
This link is helpful as a Electrical Worker:
Electrical Code Articles
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
More articles about Solar Panel System, Solar Power and Home Electrical Wiring:
|« Previous||Next »|