How Can I Have a Light Switch that Has a Light In the Switch?
I have a ceiling light in my bathroom with two 3way switches. I want to add some sort of a light Or lighted switch that would be on when the bathroom light is on, how can I wire this?© By: Dave Rongey
Lighted Light Switch
Electrical Question: I want to add a light or lighted switch that would be on when the bathroom light is on?
- I have a ceiling light in my bathroom with two 3way switches.
- I want to add some sort of a light or lighted switch that would be on when the bathroom light is on, how can I wire this?
This electrical wiring question came from Ted, a Handyman in New York.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Ted.
How to Wire a New Circuit a Occupancy Switch
Application: Wiring a New Lighted Wall Switch.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced. This electrical project is best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Electrical Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester, and appropriate Safety Gear.
Estimated Time: Depends on the personal level experience, ability to work with tools, install electrical circuit wiring, and the available access to the project area.
Electrical Safety: Identify the electrical power source to the Occupancy Switch, turn it OFF and Tag with a Note before working with the electrical wiring.
Electrical Wiring Parts and Materials: Electrical parts and materials for the Occupancy Switch should be approved for the specific project and compliant with local and national electrical codes.
Electrical Codes and Inspections: Installing or changing home electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes as adopted in New York. A permit and inspections may also be required.
Wire a Lighted Switch or Indicator Light in a Bathroom
This electrical wiring project is about Wiring a Lighted Switch in the Bathroom of a Very Old Home.
Installing a Lighted 3Way Switch
Hi Ted, Great Question!
- Most all lighted switches only light up when the switch is off so that the switch is easy to locate when it is dark.
- However a Pilot Light may be just the answer you are looking for.
- NOTE: Additional wiring may be required for the specific switch that you wish to install
Other Applications for a Lighted Switch
- This type of switch is also very good to install for equipment such as a Air Compressor, or other equipment that you would like to be reminded about that you would like to turned off when not being used.
- IMPORTANT: When selecting a Lighted Switch or Pilot Light for other applications be sure the voltage and amperage of the switch match the electrical specifications of the equipment.
More about Wiring Light Switches
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
3 Way Switch Diagram
The key to three way switch wiring depends on two main factors. These wiring diagrams help you identify the power feed and the switch leg leading to the light fixture.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Bathroom Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bathroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
More articles about Electrical Wiring, Pilot Light Switch and Home Electrical Wiring:
|« Previous||Next »|