Home is Loosing Power Several Times a Day
Is there a Problem in the Electric Breaker Box? Common problems that cause lost power to home light fixtures and outlets.© By: Dave Rongey
Home Electric Power Problem
Electrical Question #1 A few days ago my home started loosing power about 3 times a day, It effects the majority of the house.
- Only a few areas of the home remain lit. When we tried the light switches the lights come on very dim. When the kitchen light is turned on, my dishwasher lights blink. The burglar alarm also goes off when kitchen switch is attempted to turn lights back on. The alarm is not currently being monitored, just local alarm. When my adult daughter messed with the wiring in the alarm speaker box, disconnecting the wires, then the lights came back on. The desktop computer also goes off, which also is plugged into a kitchen outlet. There is no consistency in the power outage. I know this is a lot of information but I’m not sure if I start with an electrician or the alarm company? Does this at all sound like it possibly could be in the breaker box at all? Maybe rodents chewed the wiring? I am afraid of a possible fire occurring. Any help would be appreciated asap.
This electrical wiring question came from Ann, a Homeowner in St Paul, Minnesota.
Electrical Question #2
- My son called and said all lights were dimming only occasionally in their 1930’s house. The house has a 200-Amp main circuit breaker panel maybe 20-30 years old. When he turns ON the garbage disposer the lights went back to normal. Turn OFF disposer and the go back to dimming? Backwards from what I would think. I have rebuilt 4 houses including doing the wiring.
This electrical wiring question came from Michael, a Handyman in Cranston, Rhode Island.
Thanks for your electrical wiring questions.
Troubleshooting a Home Electrical Power Problem
Application: Lost Power to the Home Electrical System and Circuits.
Skill Level: Advanced – a Licensed Electrical Contractor or Certified Electrician should be consulted right away.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Ammeter and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on age of the home, the condition of the electrical system and available access to electrical components.
Precaution: Electrical troubleshooting of this level is best performed by a licensed electrical contractor who will identify the problem and make the necessary repairs.
Common Problems that Cause Home Electrical Power Problems
- Faulty Component in the Main Electrical Service
- If there is a loose connection or faulty electrical component somewhere within the electrical system this will cause problems with other lights and outlets in the home. This could be a dangerous condition that may damage electrical and electronic devices, therefore these items should be unplugged or disconnected until the problem has been repaired.
- Electrical System Inspection and Repairs
- A qualified electrician will need to inspect and test the main electrical service panel to identify the fault or condition.
- Repairs to the electrical system will need to be made with approved parts before full electrical power can be restored.
More about Troubleshooting the Electrical System
Understanding Electrical Testers
When working on home electrical wiring using voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
Using Electrical Testers
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
How to Identify Lost Power
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
More articles about Electrical Troubleshooting, Lost Power to Outlets and Lights and Home Electrical Wiring:
|« Previous||Next »|