DIY: Home Electrical Wiring Repairs
How to Work with Home Electrical Wiring Problems: To solve home electrical wiring problems attention must be directed at the symptom, in this case the tripping GFCI where the wiring should be checked.© By: Dave Rongey
Home Electrical Wiring Problems
Electrical Questions I have two separate circuits. With either one on, all the receptacles in the circuit that is on have power and will power a lamp.
- With both circuits on, I have power on all receptacles, but if I plug a lamp in on one circuit, it trips a ground fault on the other circuit.
- It doesn’t trip any circuit breakers, just the ground fault.
- What can I do, besides hiring an expensive electrician?
Additional Comments: Thank You for helping, your website is easy to access and read.
Background: Brandon, a Homeowner from Hickory, North Carolina.
Thanks for your electrical question Brandon.
How to Work with Home Electrical Wiring Problems
- There is a lot of information that has not been provided about this wiring problem, such as is this existing wiring or something that has just been added?
- To solve home electrical wiring problems attention must be directed at the symptom, in this case the tripping GFCI where the wiring should be checked.
- I would also suggest that one of these circuits be turned off so the other can be tested.
- If problems only occur when both circuits are on then there is a problem with the wiring of these circuits.
- Most likely something very simple to find once the details are understood about both circuits.
About Expensive Electricians
- A Professional Licensed Electrical Contractor is worth every dollar they earn, not because of their title but because of their knowledge and ability to provide a vital service.
- The same goes for any other professional. Many times a person who does not fully understand what they are doing will end up hiring a professional to do the job right, and make it safe.
- Homes are destroyed all too often due to careless people who take on tasks they are not qualified to do.
- If you do not fully understand what you are doing, then don’t do it at all because electricity is nothing to mess around with.
About Home Electrical Repairs
If you are in doubt, hire a professional to do it right. My Motto is: Do It Right The First Time – You’ll Sleep Better At Night (because the smoke detector will not be in alarm).
This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
More about Home Electrical Wiring:
Learn about Circuit Wiring
This is helpful as a Homeowner
Make sure not to miss these Resources for: Wiring Diagrams
Home Electrical Wiring
Basic Home Wiring Diagrams with Pictures
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
More articles about Electrical Repair and Home Electrical Wiring:
|« Previous||Next »|