GFCI Testers for Outlet Wiring
How to Test and Repair a GFCI Circuit Problem: GFCI Outlets and Nuisance Tripping, Replacing a Faulty GFCI Outlet,
Guide for Testing GFCI Outlets and Wiring
Electrical Question: My daughter plugged in my vacuum cleaner in the bathroom and popped the GFCI plug which both my bathrooms are back to back and now I have no power.
- I checked the breaker and tried resetting the GFCI but it won’t go on and the green light is not on.
- I replaced the GFCI outlet and put a GFCI tester in it and its marking red and yellow which is telling me hot and ground contacts interchanged so I don’t know what do next.
This electrical troubleshooting question came from: Mike, a Handyman from Clovis, CA.
Thanks for your electrical troubleshooting question Mike.
How to Test and Repair a GFCI Circuit Problem
Application: Testing GFCI Outlet and Circuit Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced. This electrical wiring project is best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools a Voltage Tester or Plug-In Circuit Analyzer.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools, the extent of the electrical repairs, the number of outlets that are affected and access to each location.
Precaution: Identify the GFCI outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
- GFCI Outlets and Nuisance Tripping
GFCI Circuits can be sensitive to some motor type loads such as vacuum cleaners, refrigerators and freezers and if the circuit is the same as the bathroom then the circuit may become overloaded.
- Checking a Dedicated Bathroom Circuit
Bathroom GFCI Circuits should be dedicated for the bathrooms only and not branch out into other rooms.
- Replacing a Faulty GFCI Outlet
If the GFCI outlet will not reset then it may need to be replaced.
- Making Electrical Wire Corrections
If the lights on the plug in tester indicate that the wiring is incorrect or reversed the the wiring connections to the GFCI outlet must be checked, as well as the circuit wiring, and then making the necessary corrections.
Testing and Wiring GFCI Outlets
- Receptacle Tester and Circuit Analyzer
- The handy plug in circuit analyzer and receptacle voltage testers are great for checking for voltage and also shows if the receptacle is wired correctly or is missing a wire, such as the ground wire.This Receptacle Tester and Circuit Analyzer tests ground fault receptacles to ensure proper installation of your house electrical wiring.
- Learn more about how this tester works
- This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
Bathroom Electric Wiring
Bathroom Electrical Wiring Requirements
This wiring diagram and pictures explain the basic bathroom electrical code wiring requirements required for most new or remodel projects. Give your bathroom a face lift when you enhance the electrical devices that will bring out the best in you. Make your eyes sparkle with get a breath of fresh air when you install one of these smart upgrades.
How to use Electrical Testers
Electrical Safety and Voltage Testers
When working on home electrical wiring, quality voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
Electric Outlet Wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlets
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Troubleshooting, GFI Outlet, Outlets and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Installing Electrical Wiring For Post Lights||Considerations When Planning An Electrical Sub Panel|