Generator Receptacle Configurations
Wiring a Generator Receptacle: Generator Hookup and Receptacle Configurations, Wiring a Neutral Wire for a Generator.
Limitations of Some Generator Receptacles
Generator Question: I have an older Coleman generator, Coleman Maxa 5000 er plus Model# pm0525302.02, and it has one duplex 120volt 20 amp receptacle and one 240 volt 20amp type 6-15R receptacle.
- Can I change the 240volt into something useful like one or two more 120 volt receptacles.
- I got this generator for free and it runs great, but if there is a power outage the single 120volt won’t feed much.
This Home Generator Question came from: Eric, a Homeowner from Norwalk, Connecticut.
Thanks for your home generator question Eric.
Wiring a Generator Receptacle
Application: Generator Receptacle Connections.
Skill Level: Advanced -Not recommended for Homeowners, best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Electricians pouch of hand tools.
Estimated Time: Depends on the type and size of the generator output, the specific receptacle, and the available access to the project area.
Note: Generator power should always be wired through an approved transfer switch or circuit interlock device. Any part of the home electrical system must NEVER be back-fed using a cheater cord. Back-feeding is extremely hazardous for the home, the occupants and the electric utility company repairmen.
Important: Installing a generator and transfer switch must be well thought out and performed with a permit with all work being inspected.
Generator Hookup and Receptacle Configurations
- The generator receptacle configurations are specific to the type of generator that you have.
- The generator receptacle cannot be altered.
- The NEMA 6-15r does not have a neutral which is required for the additional 120 volt receptacles that you would like to add.
More about Wiring a Home Generator
Home Electric Generators
- This series covers a wide variety of topics all about home generators including
- Generator sizing
- Generator selecting
- Connecting a generator
- Safely operating a generator
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Home Generator and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Plug-In Testers and Faulty Receptacle Outlet Readings||Telephone Wiring Problems and Solutions|