» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Home » Electrical Wiring Projects
Garage Electrical Wiring On a Concrete Wall
Does garage electrical wiring have to be protected with conduit? How to Install Garage Electrical Wiring on a Concrete Wall, Methods for Installing Electrical Conduit for Surface Mounted Electric Wiring.
Garage Electrical Wiring
[ad#block] Electrical Question #1: Does garage electrical wiring have to be protected with conduit?
- I want to add a junction box and electrical wiring to a concrete wall in my garage.
- I have a 3wire electrical cable coming out of a concrete wall in my garage.
- I want to put in a junction box and also place a GFI outlet after the tap.
- Can this wire just come into the junction box without any special cover?
- Do I have to place a protective sleeve on the wire?
Background: Eric, a Handyman from Lynnfield, Massachusetts.
Electrical Question #2:
Electrical Code for Grounding Circuit Breaker Panel for an Attached Garage.
- Grounding the breaker box inside a house. I have a concrete floor and my breaker box is on an inside wall. How should I ground the box and ground bar in the box?
This electrical wiring question came from Lawrence in Pea Ridge, Arkansas.
Thank you for your electrical questions.
How to Install Electrical Wiring on a Concrete Wall
Application: Adding onto an Existing Circuit in a Garage.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Contractor or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Depends on the exact scope of work. Electricians Tools including a Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on the personal level experience and ability to work with tools and access to the wiring.
Precaution: Identify the existing circuit, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before performing any wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring should be done through the local building authority, installed according to applicable local and national electrical codes, with a permit, and have the required inspections.
Electrical Wiring on a Concrete Wall
- Where the electrical cable penetrates the wall a protective sleeve or plastic bushing should be placed over the cable and in the opening of a box such as a 4 square or 4S box which would then be secured to the wall using concrete anchors.
- This would then serve as the connection point for the desired wiring to serve your GFI.
- A protective cover must be installed to protect the wiring and connections.
- Surface mounted electrical conduit may then be used to extend the circuit for additional electrical devices.
Installing Electrical Conduit for Surface Mounted Electric Wiring
- EMT, Electrical Metallic Tubing is the most popular method for installing surface electrical wiring with:
- Approved conduit fittings
- Support straps
- and metal electrical junction boxes as part of the assembly
- Metal junction boxes include 4 square and 5 square (four inch and four and eleven sixteenth).
More about Garage Electrical Wiring
How to Install Garage Electrical Wiring
Garage Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Garage Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Electrical Grounding Methods and Requirements
Listing of electrical codes for grounding with examples of electrical grounding codes for home electrical wiring.
For more information about Electrical Code
- Garage Electrical Wiring and Grounding Codes
- Electrical Code Directory covering Electrical Grounding, GFCI outlets and garage electrical wiring.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Garage Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Wire a Ceiling Fan to the Ceiling Box||Wiring for a Ceiling Light Fixture|