Estimating The Cost To Install A Home Generator
Michael in North Hampton New Hampshire asks: How do we locate a Qualified Electrician to install a Generator for our Home? Estimate the Cost to Install a Home Generator, Factors that will Effect the Cost of a Home Generator Installation, Local Code Standards and Ordinances.
Installing a Home Generator
Electrical Question: How do we locate a Qualified Electrician to install a Generator for our Home?
We would like to install a Generac Guardian 20k Generator with the 200amp Nexus Smart Switch.
- We are trying to determine the cost of the electrical generator hookup.
- We already have prices for the gas hookup and town inspector.
- The estimates we get for electrical hookup are for generator installation companies who gave us a range of $4000 to $7000 depending on the company.
- This seems ridiculous. Is this a rip off or is this reasonable?
- How many man hours should hookup takes.
- The cellar is open (no sheet rock in the way for cabling) and it’s a 200 amp service.
Any guidance on how we find a reasonable and Qualified Electrician.
Thanks for your help,Michael
This electrical wiring question came from: Michael, a Homeowner from North Hampton, New Hampshire.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Michael.
Michael, the cost of the generator installation will depend on a lot of things, such as listed here:
How to Estimate the Cost to Install a Home Generator
Factors that will Effect the Cost of a Home Generator Installation
- The location of the generator.
- The home electrical panel.
- The number of circuits you wish to have on generator power.
- The location of the fuel source.
- Access to all of these items which will have a impact on the time and materials required for the home generator installation.
Generator Options and Considerations
- Type of Fuel and the Amount of Fuel that will be Available for the Generator
- More frequently are we hearing about wide spread storm related power outages that can leave us in the dark for days, so it would be wise to consider how much fuel will be available for your generator for extended hours of operation.
- Fuel Considerations and Hours of Operation of a Home Generator
- The gas or fuel tank that is standard equipment for the generator will only last for a certain number of hours which will depend on the size of the generator and the amount of electrical load that will be placed on the generator.
- Find out how long the generator will run and then determine how many spare fuel tanks you should have on hand and where they can safely and securely be stored.
- Propane or Natural Gas Generators
- If you have natural gas or a propane tank at your home you should consider a generator that runs on this same type of fuel, that way the generator will operate for an extended period of time without the need to be constantly refueled.
- If you have a fuel tank on site, such as a propane tank, make sure it is filled up often, especially before winter weather sets in.
- If you experience power outages quite often then you might consider replacing the size of the fuel tank.
- Dual Fuel Generators
- Some generators may offer the option to operate with two different types of fuel, such as gasoline and propane or natural gas.
- This can be very handy when one fuel source becomes depleted but the alternative fuel is available.
- Local Standards and Ordinances
- Be sure to check with all local organizations that may affect the type of generator before making the final decision about the right generator for your home at your specific location.
- Make sure that the generator is installed with a perm,it and receives all applicable inspections.
Checklist for Hiring a Electrician
Here are 10 Tips to Make Sure Your Electrical Contractor Measures Up
Important: Make sure your prospective electrical contractor has experience with installing home generators and can provide referrals of previous customers with generator installations.
More about Home Generators
- Generator Section
- The Importance of a Generator Transfer Switch
- Generator Articles
- Generator Questions and Answers
- Home generators
- Home Generators
- This series covers a wide variety of topics all about home generators including sizing, selecting, connecting and safely operating this all important addition to your home.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Generator Installation and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|When Storms Cause Electrical Problems||How to Identify Electrical Problems|