» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Electrical Wiring to NEC Standard
Wiring a Home to N.E.C. Standards, Home Electrical Wiring in Another Country: I’m building a home in another country where they use 100 volt 60 hertz power, but I want to use 110volt 60 hertz as the standard in the U.S.A.
Wiring a Home to N.E.C. Standards
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I’m building a home in another country where they use 100 volt 60 hertz power, but I want to use 110volt 60 hertz as the standard in the U.S.A.
- My question is will I hurt an appliance or AC unit that is rated for 100volt/60hz?
- Most of my electronics are from the states and I don’t want to use individual transformers.
- I figure I would wire the house American style and this way I can use both American and Foreign products.Please advise and thanks!
This electrical question came from Will, who is a Homeowner from Arizona.
See more about Home Wiring for Arizona
Dave the Electrician’s Reply:
Thanks for your electrical question Will.
Home Electrical Wiring
Application: Home Electrical Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Electricians Pouch of Hand Tools for Rough-In Wiring, Electric Drill and Auger Bits, Extension Cords, and a Ladder as needed.
Safety: All personal safety measures must be taken when performing electrical wiring projects.
Estimated Time: Depends on the extent of the project, and available access to the project area.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring or upgrading existing electrical circuits and wiring should always be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Home Electrical Wiring in Another Country
- Like Will, I have worked with a home wiring project in another country where the homeowner installed basic circuit wiring as if he were in the U.S.A., but he also installed quality voltage adapters and power supplies where required.
- It is important to pay special attention to the appliance manufacturers specifications and provide the required voltage and hertz power to avoid problems.
More about Home Electrical Wiring
Home Electrical Codes
Electrical Code Directory covering AFCI circuit, electrical-boxes, electrical-circuit, electrical-code-outlets, electrical GFCI, electrical-grounding, electrical-project, electrical-services, electrical-underground, electrical-wiring, electrical-wiring-code, lighting-codes and smoke-detectors.
Home Electrical Wiring
Basic Home Wiring Diagrams with Pictures.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
|More articles about Electrical, Home Wiring Electrical and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Install Bedroom Lighting||Voltage Drop and Electrical Service Planning|
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.