Electrical Wiring Problem with a GFCI Outlet
I went to plug my extension cord into the ground fault and it tripped and could not be reset. I stretched the cord into the living room and plugged it into a receptacle which I could smell wires burning.
GFCI Outlet Wiring
[ad#block] Electrical Question: I replaced receptacles and wired them like they were but now I only have power to the receptacle that is before the one that was damaged.
- I was working at my camp this weekend and I went to plug my extension cord into the ground fault on the porch and it tripped and could not be reset. So like a dummy I stretched the cord into the living room and plugged it into the receptacle in there which I could smell wires burning.
- I shut the power down, opened the receptacle and it had started to melt. In that box the receptacle was wired as follows 2 black wires jumper together going to the silver screw two white wires jumper together one of the wires being marked with a black marker going to the brass screw. Also the grounds were connected together.
- The GFI on the porch had two white wires jumper together going to one side of the top of receptacle and two black wires jumper together going to the top of the other side of the GFI. I replaced the receptacles and wired them like they were but now I only have power to the receptacle that is before the one that was damaged. I do get voltage to the damaged outlet on one of the black lines 120 volts. But everything after that is still dead, the outlets overhead lights ect., that are on that breaker.
This electrical wiring question came from David, a Homeowner in Pennsylvania.
David, Thank You for Visiting Ask-the-Electrician!
Thanks for your electrical wiring question David.
Electrical Problem with a GFCI Outlet
Application: Electrical Problem with a GFCI Outlet.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor or a Certified Electrician.
Electrical Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester, and appropriate Safety Gear.
Estimated Time: Depends on the personal level experience, ability to work with tools, install electrical circuit wiring, and the available access to the project area.
Electrical Safety: Identify the electrical power source to the GFCI Outlet, turn it OFF and Tag with a Note before working with the electrical wiring.
Electrical Wiring Parts and Materials: Electrical parts and materials for the GFCI Outlet should be approved for the specific project and compliant with local and national electrical codes.
Electrical Codes and Inspections: Installing or changing home electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes as adopted in your specific area. A permit and inspections may also be required.
Problem with GFCI Outlet Wiring
This electrical wiring project is about an Electrical Problem with a GFCI Outlet in the Entry of a Cabin.
How to Fix a GFCI Outlet Wiring Problem
Reviewing the Electrical Question:
- I was working at my camp this weekend and i went to plug my extension cord into the ground fault on the porch and it tripped and could not be reset. So like a dummy i stretched the cord into the living room and plugged it into the receptacle in there which i could smell wires burning.
- David, from the information you have provided, the circuit wiring leading to the GFCI outlet will need to be identified to make sure the Line (Incoming circuit power) and Load (Outgoing wiring to the remaining outlets and other devices) is understood. Once this is done make the wiring connections to the GFCI outlet Line and Load Terminals.
NOTE: It is important that the wiring to the outlets ares correct, where the Brass Terminals are for the Black (Power), and the Silver Terminals are for the White (Neutral), and making sure the ground wires are attached to the ground screws.
- RESOURCES: The following information provides Illustrated Wiring Diagrams that will assist you.
More about Electric Wiring for GFCI Outlets
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
GFCI and GFI Wiring Diagrams
The features and benefits of GFCI outlets and receptacles will give you a clear understanding of the importance why these safety devices are required by code to help protect you and your family against accidental electrical shock hazards.
This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, GFCI Outlet Lost Power, GFCI Outlets and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Moving an Oven and the Electrical Wiring||Replace MR16 Bulbs with MR16 LED Bulbs in a Track Light|