» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Electrical Wiring for Outdoor Christmas Lights
How can I control my Christmas lights from a switch? How to Wire a Switched Outlet to Control Your Christmas Lights, The basics for installing a switch controlled outlet for Christmas holiday lights.
Christmas Lights Controlled by a Switch
[ad#block] Electrical Question: How can I control my Christmas Lights from a Switch?
I Want to Control My Christmas Lights Using the Following Method:
- I want to install electrical wiring for a switched, end run GFI outlet so I can plug in some Christmas lights.
- There is an existing outlet 30′ away from where I want to install the switched outlet.
- The existing outlet controlled by a new single pole switch.
- The switched outlet to be protected for Ground Fault GFI.
How should this be wired?
This electrical question came from: Steve, a Homeowner from Anaheim, California.
Thanks for your electric wiring question Steve.
Electrical Wiring for Christmas Lights
Application: Switch Control for Christmas Lights.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Depending on the home circuit wiring for this application.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester and a fiberglass or non-metal ladder.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools and work from a ladder.
Precaution: Identify the circuit or power source, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
How to Wire a Switched Outlet to for your Christmas Lights
Control Christmas lights from a switch or use a wireless control, an easy to do project with parts that are available at most hardware stores.
Example: The Basics of Installing a Switch Controlled Outlet for Christmas Holiday Lights
- Select the outlet that will be used for the Christmas lights.
- Intercept the electrical circuit power at the existing outlet.
- Install a type-NM cable from the outlet to the desired switch location to create a switched loop.
- From the intercepted power location, the switched power is installed to the desired Christmas light outlet using approved wiring methods and ground fault protection.
- If the intercepted power location is outdoor, then a weather resistant GFCI Receptacle outlet should be installed. The following are some options to consider:
- Weather Resistant GFCI Receptacle.
- NOTE: Weather Resistant cover is required.
- Extension Cord sets with GFCI Protection.
- Weather Resistant GFCI Receptacle.
- For automated control for the lights, you may also consider installing a Wireless Remote Switch which could save you a lot of time and money.
- Another option for automatic light control would be to install a programmable time switch for automatic on and off control capability.
- Keep in mind that all of the outdoor wiring should be installed using approved weatherproof and rain tight materials for each specific device.
- The electrical materials to be installed must be designed according to electrical codes as they apply to your specific application.
- Electrical wiring for projects must be installed with a permit and be inspected according to your local building department.
- NOTE: Electrical wiring projects such as this are best installed by a licensed electrical contractor.
More about Home Electric Wiring for Christmas Lights
- Wiring Diagram GFI
- The features and benefits of GFCI outlets and receptacles will give you a clear understanding of the importance why these safety devices are required by code to help protect you and your family against accidental electrical shock hazards.
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about GFCI Wiring
GFCI Wiring Outlets
- GFCI Wiring
- This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Christmas Holiday Lighting, Christmas Lights, Electrical and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Tips for Outdoor Christmas Lighting||Timer Control for Outdoor Christmas Lights|