Electrical Wiring for Ceiling Fan and Outlets
How to Install Electrical Wiring for Outlets and a Ceiling Fan: Ceiling fans may be controlled individually by the wall switch, pull chain switches or remote control modules.
Ceiling Fan and Outlets
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I would like to run wiring to 3 ceiling fans and lights controlled by a switch.
- I’m using a 12-2 NM cable for the power run to a single pole switch, then to a 12-3 NM cable.
- From that point I would like to run wiring to 3 ceiling fans and lights controlled by the single pole switch, and then add four outlets that will be hot all the time.
- I’m just making sure this design sounds correct.
This electrical question came from: Tarry, from Nenana, Alaska.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Tarry.
Wiring a Ceiling Fan and Outlets
Application: Ceiling Fan Electrical Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced, Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the switched outlet wiring and the proposed location for the ceiling fan.
Precaution: Identify the switched outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring for a ceiling fan should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Installing Electrical Wiring for Outlets and a Ceiling Fan
Tarry, your project design sounds fine and I will explain this to help others understand.
- The first 12-2 NM cable would supply a new circuit of power to the switch box location.
- The 12-3 NM cable that will be installed from the single pole switch to the ceiling fans and lights will enable a non-switched hot wire that will provide power for the outlets, and the switch controlled wire that would be used to turn the ceiling fans and lights on and off.
- The ceiling fans may be controlled individually by the wall switch, pull chain switches or remote control modules.
- The neutral and ground wires are spliced through and connected as required.
- The wire color designations are typically Back for the hots and red for the switch leg.
More about Wiring Ceiling Fans
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Wiring a Thermostat Controlled Heat Unit||Repairing a Kitchen Outlet|