» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Electrical Wiring for a Dishwasher and Disposal Outlet
The disposal is plugged into the receptacle and has power but the dishwasher which is plugged into the same receptacle does not have power: How to Wire a Dishwasher and Garbage Disposal Outlet: Common Problems When Wiring a Dishwasher and Disposal Outlet.
Wiring a Disposal Switch and Outlet
[ad#block]Electric Wiring Question: The disposal is plugged into the receptacle and has power but the dishwasher which is plugged into the same receptacle does not have power.
- I am replacing the switches and receptacles in the kitchen.
- While replacing these devices, I’ve managed to lose power to the dishwasher.
- The disposal, which is plugged into the top or bottom of a receptacle, gets electricity, but the dishwasher which is plugged into the same receptacle, does not.
- I did not change the receptacle under the counter so I’ve wired something wrong somewhere above the counter.
- I have the following electrical above the counter:
- Light switch.
- Garbage disposal switch right of sink.
- GFI line right of sink and GFI Load and Line left of sink.
- The dishwasher is right of sink as well.
This home electric wiring question came from: Lisa, from Seattle, Washington.
Thanks for your electrical question Lisa.
How to Wire a Dishwasher and Garbage Disposal Outlet
Application: Wiring a Garbage Disposal Switch and Outlet.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools, the location of the garbage disposal outlet and the available access for the electrical wiring.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional outlet wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Common Problems When Wiring a Dishwasher and Disposal Outlet
- Wiring a Disposal Switch and Outlet
- My first thought about this question is that you should swap the dishwasher and the disposal plugs, because there is a good possibility that the wiring for each of those plugs has been changed up at the disposal switch at the counter top location.
- In most cases, the garbage disposal and dishwasher are on the same electrical circuit, each of which are plugged into the duplex receptacle outlet which is located under the sink.
- As you will see on the visual wiring diagrams, there is a duplex receptacle with two outlets under the sink. One of the outlets is controlled by the switch at the counter top to operate the garbage disposal.
- Wiring a Dishwasher Outlet
- As described in the same wiring diagram, the other outlet of the duplex receptacle under the sink remains hot all the time for the dishwasher.
- To help you understand how the wiring of the garbage disposal and the dishwasher I have placed links to the visual wiring diagrams below.
More about Wiring a Dishwasher and Disposal
Garbage Disposal and Dishwasher Wiring
- Fully explained dishwasher disposal and wiring diagrams with pictures for wiring the outlet that serves a dishwasher and a garbage disposal.
- One very important element can be easily overlooked as you will see in these pictures.
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
GFCI and GFI Wiring Diagrams
- The features and benefits of GFCI outlets and receptacles will give you a clear understanding of the importance why these safety devices are required by code to help protect you and your family against accidental electrical shock hazards.
- This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Energy Savings Calculation for Lighting||How to Install Home Electrical Wiring|
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.