» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Electrical Troubleshooting after a Power Outage
How to Reset Electric Power after a Power Outage: How to Reset Circuit Breakers and GFCI Outlets, Reset Tripped Circuit Breakers, Reset Tripped GFCI Outlets, Test and Reset GFCI Devices.
Circuit Power Problems after a Power Outage
[ad#block]Electrical Question: We had a power outage and after the power returned my main bathroom light switch and exhaust fan will not work.
- I have tested the light switch and outlet with a multimeter and it has zero power?
- I have also reset all the panel breakers and even tested them and have 120 volt power from all of them.
I am stumped, please advise.
This electrical question came from: Jay, from Calgary, Canada.
Thanks for your electrical question Jay.
Restoring Electrical Circuit Power After a Power Outage
Application: Lost Power after an Electrical Power Outage.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools a Voltage Tester or Plug-In Circuit Analyzer.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools, the extent of the electrical repairs, the number of outlets that are affected and access to each location.
Precaution: Identify the GFCI outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
How to Reset Circuit Breakers and GFCI Outlets
- Reset Tripped Circuit Breakers
- Make sure to reset circuit breakers all the way into the OFF position, then fully back into the ON position for a full reset.
- Reset Tripped GFCI Outlets
- Check all the GFCI outlets, Reset any that are tripped OFF.
- Test and Reset GFCI Devices
- Verify that all GFCI Outlets and circuit breakers function properly by pressing the TEST button, and then the RESET Button. If the GFCI does not test properly then it may need to be replaced.
- Main Electrical Power Failure
- If all of the normal power does not return to the home after a power outage then notify your local electrical utility company.
More about Home Electrical Systems
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Understanding Digital Volt Meters
When working on home electrical wiring using voltage meter can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers and voltage meters enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
Types of Electrical Testers
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
|More articles about Electrical Repair, Electrical Troubleshooting and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Install Underground Electrical Cable for a RV Motor Home||Electrical Wiring for Light Fixtures|
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.