» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Splicing A Short Cable In A Panel
I am replacing the sub-panel in my garage which was an old Stab-Lok type, the neutral wire is too short to reach the neutral terminal strip in the new panel by about a foot…
Splicing a Short Cable In A Panel
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I am replacing the sub-panel in my garage which was an old Stab-Lok type. The neutral wire is too short to reach the neutral terminal strip in the new panel by about a foot.
- The wiring is 2/0 aluminum, and buried a significant distance from the house so that replacing with longer wiring is not really feasible.
- My understanding from the 2011 NEC book is that I am allowed to extend that wire as long as the connector is approved and that insulation matches or exceeds the cables specifications.
- Am I, in fact, able to do this? Are there any other special precautions I need to know about, other than antioxidant coatings and such?
This electrical question came from: Mike, from Pacific, MO.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Mike.
- Mike, as you have stated, use approved splicing connectors or insulated lugs.
- Insulated terminal lugs are great for this type of splice.
- The splice must be made accessible in a junction box or enclosure if the splice is made outside of the sub-panel.
- Make sure to properly identity all of the spliced conductors with electrical tape or permanent marker.
More about Panel Electrical Wiring
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wire Splice and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How To Make an Underground Cable Splice||Electrical Problem With Bathroom Light Switch|